parkerizing your dies and press??

furtaker

I see theres a guy on youtube thats been parkerizing his dies and one of his presses. Im not to sure of what to think about it. Anybody else done this? If so or not whats your guys and gals thoughts on it? Sounds interesting.

greco

Yep, no point in it. If there is a rust issue, I've never worried about it, never had a rust issue. If its a friction issue, I decided to use Luprplate for my cases. Can't see that it is even in the universe of reloading................. but thanks for this tip.

Bad idea for sizing dies. The Parkerizing can be a quarter to nearly half a mil thick, depending on the kind, so it's messing with internal dimensions. He has to spoil his surface smoothness to do it. There is a much better permanent lube for the purpose if that's what he wants? Search on Shooter's Solutions Moly Fusion for that.

furtaker

I was kinda wondering how thick the coating was. I figured it had to change the dies internal deminsions some. I also wondered about it being on the threads of the die, if a guy would get small fluctuations every time you changed your dies out. Just curious it was something new to me that I hadnt heard of before. Thanks!

Shorthair

Not only do I think that dimensionally its a bad idea, but parkerizing leaves a rough texture and I would think it would scratch the hell out of the brass, as well as make sticking cases more likely.

AlaskaMike

Wow--talk about a solution in search of a problem! What's wrong with wiping stuff down with oil every now and then?

Mike

Boomer8404

Just wondering why yall think its such a a bad idea. I have watched his videos and the type of parkerizing he is doing is not the traditional rough texture type like say on an old 1911. All it looks like is a dull finish blue, which all its really doing is bluing the dies, which also, if it does any at all would only add a very minute bit of thickness that wouldnt effect anything. And also, I think if it was the rough texture parkerizing, I think he would have noticed that and not be offering the service. I think its cool, just something different and a good way to take care of the equipment that we put out hard earned green backs into.

Check out his videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEZnxhHtMv8&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYjH7s4l3Eg&feature=channel

medalguy

I agree-- a solution looking for a problem. Nothing at all to be gained by doing this. ANY kind of finishing, even plating, adds to the dimension and changes clearances. Equipment always needs occasional attention, whether it's a car or a press. Wipe it down with a little bit of oil once in a while as you clean it and you have no problems at all. I've never had a die rust in almost 40 years of reloading.

brickeyee

Wow--talk about a solution in search of a problem! What's wrong with wiping stuff down with oil every now and then?

This.

And throw a vapor phase rust inhibitor chip in the box with the dies.

Howard31

Parkerizing Dies and Presses.

It seems like a total waste of time.My Press and many of my dies are 30-40 years old.Every two or three months I give them a shot of WD-40 and I have never had a rust problem.
I think he could better spend his time reloading and shooting.:confused: