Parkerizing over JB Weld?

Nickel Plated

I'm doing a little project where two steel parts are to be attached with JB Weld. In the future I plan to have them parkerized. But before I attach them I just want to know will I have problems parkerizing JB Welded parts?
It's not a an issue of cosmetics. I know that JB Weld does not parkerize and will still look like JB Weld. The joint is in an area that can not bee seen once assembled so that's not my concern.
I'm more worried if the parkerizing solution will ruin the bond, or if the epoxy will contaminate the parkerizing, thus ruining the finish of the whole part.

I could just park first then glue. But it will cost several hundred bucks to refinish the whole gun, and I wouldn't be able to swing that kinda cash for a while. So I kinda want to just get it all put together to see if it even works. Then refinish later when the money is available.

5whiskey

I wish I could give a more definitive answer, but I'm going to say you're good with a few qualifiers. A JB weld bond will not be weakened by the mild heat of a park job. I'm 100% on that. I'm also 99% certain that immersing JB weld will not leach in the bath and ruin the entire park job. Parkerizing is a quick process and I doubt it will have time to leach enough to effect results, if it would at all (highly doubt it would).

The most likely negative outcome is the weakening of the JB weld. Using phosphoric acid for parkerizing could do this (could, but im not sure) but your exposure time is limited so I think you will likely be OK, especially if their is depth to your weld and the part doesn't bear a high load. I would ensure that the weld has cured at least 2 weeks, and understand this is still a little bit of a gamble.

T. O'Heir

JB Weld is epoxy with metal instead of fibreglass found in Acraglas. Parkerising is done with a caustic soda cleaning in the first tank.
Parkerising the parts won't bother it. You do have to use the right JB Weld though. It's not all for gluing metals.

The main issue may be how well the JB Weld resists the abrasive blasting that usually precedes phosphating baths of any kind (Parker's or anyone else's). It may be severely eroded by that if it is exposed significantly.

I agree there is not likely to be chemical issue unless the bond is compromised. To avoid that, you want the epoxy applied to properly prepared, dead clean metal. Preferably, you want it on a matte surface. On small things I use one of the little Badger abrasive air brushes and aluminum oxide abrasive for this. It leaves a good matte surface. A similar surface is best for Parkerizing the rest of the metal, but it usually takes bigger blast equipment to prep the surface of a whole gun without getting an uneven surface.

You also want to follow good epoxy application practices. In general, on a non-absorbent surface, epoxy bonds are weak if they are too thin. I've seen some demos done where a shim or a small raised bump on the metal (automatic centerpunch applied to raise a little crater rim) was used to maintain at least a couple to five thousandths of film thickness to get good bond strength. So this is not a squeeze-together-with-clamps situation. You want the epoxy to have at least a little gap to fill. I suspect this has to do with getting the best cross-linking of epoxy resin molecules to occur, but don't actually know the details.

A hot lye bath is an industry standard practice for degreasing metal because it is inexpensive and easily rinsed off, but you need to know safe handling practices as it can burn skin badly. Chlorinated solvents work, if you can find any. I've actually had very good results just using Formula 409 degreasing cleaner and the Slip 2000 gun degreaser and cleaner. The main problem is the rinsing, which has to be very thorough. I've used a running hot tap water flush followed by boiling in distilled water to remove final traces and prevent mineral water spots from forming. When I remove a part from the boiling water, wearing disposable clean cotton gloves, I immediately shake any excess water free and let the residual heat flash dry the surface moisture off. This forms a micro thin blue oxide layer on the surface (visible only in the right incident light) that will protect it long enough to get your epoxy applied. If you need it to last longer, put the part into a sealed container like a pickle jar with a strong desiccant. IIRC, surface rust can't form in relative humidity lower than about 30% or so.

I've found Parkerizing (or other brand phosphating) to be easy to do in my home workshop. I have a stainless tank for the purpose that is large enough to hold rifle barrels, but I've done handgun parts in Pyrex cookware and even in cheap enamelware pots before. You can request a set of instructions from Brownells and read them to get some idea what's involved. They carry solutions made by the Parker company, and they tend to provide pretty good, thick deposits. Other brands are a little easier to work with and less costly and may be adequate. Shooter's Solutions makes some. But get samples and try it out rather than start with your gun as the first Guinea pig. Shooter's Solutions also makes a hot bath degreaser.

Nickel Plated

I'm converting an AR15 barrel for an airsoft gun. (trying to get the most realistic replica I can) Part of that involves cutting off the whole barrel extension and just leaving the little raised ring portion that gets clamped by the barrel nut. But also drill out the chamber end of the barrel to fit some parts inside. Point being you only have a single thread left to hold that ring in place. It's enough to hold it, but JB Weld would be some insurance to make sure it stays put and keep it from unscrewing.

Welding would be a bit overkill for this. On top of that 4140 steel requires some specialized welding procedures and I don't have the equipment for it. Overall just more hassle that it's worth or needed.

I tried some red Loc-Tite and that seems to hold it well enough for now. Later I can heat it up, unscrew, clean it all, send it to be parked and then JB Weld it properly afterwards. Thanks guys.

tobnpr

The main issue may be how well the JB Weld resists the abrasive blasting that usually precedes phosphating baths of any kind (Parker's or anyone else's). It may be severely eroded by that if it is exposed significantly.

Naahh...
I use JB Weld frequently for cosmetic fill prior to Cerakote- most commonly to fill the pin holes in the rear sight dovetail after removing the rear sight on Mosin-Nagants; I also fill any gouges or pits deep enough to warrant it.
Not seeking perfection, just trying to improve appearance.

Once cured, blasting with 100 grit hard enough to properly etch the surface doesn't phase it. It withstands the barrel heat just fine, and the Cerakote bonds to it without issue.

Tobnpr,

That's good information to have. The reason I suggested blasting resistance "may" be a problem is I didn't know if the elasticity of JB's surface was adequate to hold up to it. If you are getting a good blend, then JB must be about right for the process, which fact I will tuck away for future reference.

Nickel Plated,

I think with the Loctite you may have found a winner. Loctite also makes Quick Metal and other compounds for fitting parts together. They like forming a thin film layer, where epoxies don't hold up well to that on non-porous surfaces.

tobnpr

^^
It's a very valid point- which is why I said "properly etch" ;)
If someone were to lean on it with 70 grit at 120 psi, from an inch away, it would likely have a different outcome. For someone that's experienced, you wouldn't have a problem. In fact, I've had to remove barrels from the blast cabinet where I didn't fair the epoxy filler enough (shame on me) and had to use a Cratex wheel on it again because I couldn't blast it into submission. Tougher stuff than I thought.

guncrank

Parkerizing is a acidic chemical bath , would not bond to the J B Weld.

Cerakote is baked at a temperature well under the highest temp that JB breaks done.

I too have used it as filler with applied coatings but the first time I tried the park bath it did not survive. Perhaps I mixed it wrong or had some other issue.