Parker Hale magazine to Floorplan conversion

Bluenoser

Parker Hale magazine to Floorplate conversion

New to this site and looking for help or advice. I've recently inherited a 1970 Parker Hale model 1000c rifle in 308 win. And a Mauser bolt action. Unfortunately it came with Magazine clip missing and impossible to find a replacement. Have been doing some research and believe it may be easier to convert to a drop floorplate magazine. It looks like there is a availability of M98 trigger guards with floorplates, also would need a follower and spring. Wanting to make this a winter restoration project so any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

taylorce1

I'd buy a commercial bottom metal before using a surplus M98 bottom metal. It'll be more expensive up front, but it will also look better finished. You might have some fitment issues with the stock or gaps that need filled. All should be pretty easy fixes.

However, you might try this magazine from Numrich and see if it fixes your issues.

44 AMP

Staff
Before you buy any "bottom metal" you need to find one that matches the spacing of the holes in your action (and only buy from someone who allows you to return it, if it doesn't fit).

There are a lot of "Mauser" action rifles, both civilain and military, with nearly identical, but not exactly the same spacing of the action screws. Getting the wrong one is a waste of money and time (if you can't return it and get a refund).

Bluenoser

I did notice that Numrich have trigger guards with drop floor plates for the Parker Hales but do not include the follower and spring. I would think that the follower and spring would be specific for the gun model, or are they kind of generic for assorted applications. As far as the mentioned M98 magazine, it doesn't look like the original so would be a little iffy to order.

44 AMP

Staff
The follower and spring are pretty generic for each action size, however, there is always the possibility that a commercial maker did something that required the use of their parts. I have no idea if that applies to your gun, or not.

A couple of points to keep in mind, followers made for the military rifles often have a square shoulder at the back, so that the bolt locks open when the rifle is empty. Sporting Mausers don't have that, its a PITA in civilian use.

Second thing, the spring can be installed incorrectly. If this is done, things may still work ok, or they might not. Have seen rifles where the follower was easily tipped nosing down, even to the point of not feeding properly. Installing the spring right side up fixed the problem in those guns.

Good Luck!

IF you can get Parker Hale parts, I would use them over "generic" parts if possible.

FrankenMauser

Like others have suggested, I wouldn't go with surplus parts. I would buy commercial bottom metal. Everything about it will set you up for higher chances of success in the long run. But if it isn't PH bottom metal, expect to do some fitting.

PTG used to offer bottom metal, and still might.
Sunny Hill should still offer bottom metal.
Sarco occasionally has commercial Mauser bottom metal.
There are plenty of places to check and/or keep an eye on.
As mentioned, just be sure you know exactly what you have, so you have a better idea of what to be searching out.

Mauser followers and springs are pretty universal and generic. Even if you find something that isn't quite an exact fit, it is probably within filing distance. (5-10 minutes with a hand file or grinder should get it there.)
They're so generic that I gave parts to a Jap Type 38 owner to see if they'd work. They're still in the rifle, because they work flawlessly. So, his Jap 38 has 1893 Mauser follower and spring in it.

A couple of points to keep in mind, followers made for the military rifles often have a square shoulder at the back, so that the bolt locks open when the rifle is empty. Sporting Mausers don't have that, its a PITA in civilian use.
I used to think the same thing, since you had to depress the follower every time you closed the bolt with an empty mag.

Then I started shooting bolt guns in timed competition and found myself wishing I had notched followers to remind me when I ran dry. Distractions, bobbles, feed issues, complicated stages, having to reset on the clock, making a mistake with 'hit to move on' targets, and more, can cause someone to lose track of round count pretty easily. There's a lot to focus on. Round count is usually one of the lowest priorities.

Yes, this is mostly speaking for myself, but I've seen plenty of other people do it, too. Case in point: Our last match had two stages with weird target rotations (and one of them had a time bonus), where safety, the target rotation, and dope for each distance, was about all a person could focus on. Nearly every shooter finished the stages in the same manner: Closing the bolt on an empty chamber, opening the bolt after feeling that nothing fed from the magazine, looking into the ejection port, doing an awkward prone twist to turn back to the rest of the squad, and asking, "That was it?" :D

Heck, at this point, I wouldn't mind notched followers in my commercial hunting rifles. Not that it has happened to me in a very long time, but, "You're empty, idiot," is not a bad reminder in the field, either. ;)

Bluenoser

Thanks all for your responses, Unable to locate any parts in Canada, parts mostly available in Europe, Australia and New Zeland. Numrich in U.S. has correct trigger guard and floorplates, but no sure of follower and spring. What I read is that they are fairly generic, so should be able to locate. Now would I need a certain size follower for 308 win. I do know that the PH 1000C came with specific clip for 243 and 308 then another clip for bigger calibers. Will keep searching net for parts in U.S., notices a few out fits in above post.

taylorce1

Parker Hale rifles are a Mauser 98 large ring clones. The magazines used for .308 length cartridges have a spacer attached to the back of the magazine box and shorter length follower and magazine spring. However, that doesn't mean you can't use a standard length follower and spring.

You might try searching for parts for Interarms Mark X, Remington 798, or Zastava Model 70. This is another commercial 98 Mauser and see what parts you come up with. The trigger guard screw spacing should be the same as your action. I won't guarantee a perfect fit in your stock however.

Last edited: