Paranoia AGAIN?

2damnold4this

The article doesn't demonstrate a higher rate of firearm injuries for older people, it just implies that older people are at more risk because they have a higher rate of firearm ownership. Sounds like bunk.

icedog88

I agree. As well the article could have gone many different routes. The younger owners not being as experienced or more apt to have an accident over excessive handling due to the euphoria of owning a new gun. Middle aged owners getting complacent because they know it all. I saw no specific case cited in this article. Opinion masked as factual IMO.

2damnold4this

Individual cases of dementia should be addressed but to imply that seniors are at a greater risk because they have a higher firearm ownership rate is kind of silly. With automobiles, we have statistical evidence that seniors are more likely to be in an accident than middle aged folks. We don't see that evidence for firearm accidents.

The gun control lobby keeps making grabs at whatever fleeting relevance they can. Both studies linked in the article were conducted by grantees of the Joyce Foundation, a group known for bankrolling gun control agendas.

Yes, the suicide rate does go up among the elderly, for many reasons. As such, we see a slight spike in fatal firearm injuries. However, removing one instrument from the equation won't help.

C0untZer0

When my dad went from dementia to full-blown Alzheimers, he would sit by the patio door and shoot crows and squirrels with a pellet pistol.

Probably no big deal in many parts of the country but you can't do that in Chicagoland.

I took all the firearms as wel as pellet rifles and pellet pistols out of the house.

My dad had a really nice Ruger Standard, which I really love (mine now).

My dad also drove his Cadilac through the fence, through the garage door and into a McDonald's sign before we could get him to stop driving :D

C0untZer0

BTW - I also used to have arguments with him about "stopping power", and how a .22 wasn't enough to stop robbers, and I'd say "A .22 round is not going to stop an attacker.."

He'd reply "It will if I shoot em in the head"

So now when I hear that same argument here at TFL I think "Eh... they're probably old and demented."

Skadoosh

There is actually some truth to this problem...I am dealing with it right now. Both of my parents are displaying serious cognitive decline and the onset of dementia but both refuse to acknowledge it. My father refuses to give up his driver's license and his guns.

Webleymkv

That article uses the same old "creative" manipulation of statistics that the gun control lobby has been pounding for years. They're half-truths and misrepresentations, if not outright lies, and they always have been.

The article states that firearm ownership increases the risk of being a victim of violent crime. What is conveniently ignored, however, is that a large number of people choose to own a firearm because they are already at high risk for being the victim of a violent crime. Using the same logic as this supposed "study", we could also conclude that taking antibiotics makes one more likely to die of a bacterial infection. Even more insidious, it is implied that all, or nearly all, of the firearm owners who are "victims" of violent crime are good, law-abiding people. Nowhere is it mentioned how many of these firearm owners who become "victims" of violent crime are at increased risk because they are engaging in illicit activity themselves.

It is also mentioned that older people are at decreased risk for victimization. While that is most likely true, the most likely reason is that older people simply do not engage in risky lifestyles at as high a rate as younger people do. Older people are, by and large, more affluent than younger people are and thus more likely to live in wealthier and safer areas. Older people also do not frequent bars, brothels, crack houses, or other places where the risk of violent crime is increased at the same rate that younger people do. What is ignored here is that older people, by and large, are not as physically fit as younger people are and, as such, are not as well equipped to defend themselves without a weapon of some sort should someone attempt to victimize them.

Finally, the statistic about suicide and accidents is intentionally misleading. Depression, which is strongly correlated with an increased risk of suicide, is much higher in older adults than it is in young and middle aged adults. Also, failed suicide attempts are often attributable to people who do not really wish to die, but rather are desperately seeking attention. People who attempt suicide but do not succeed typically are younger and usually choose a relatively surviveable method such as attempting to overdose on medication. When an older person attempts suicide, that person is more likely to actually wish to die and thus more likely to choose a method with a higher rate of success such as shooting themself.

As to the statistic about accidents, older people are simply at higher risk for accidents of several sorts due to imairments in vision, hearing, touch sensation, and cognition. Other types of accidental death such as automobile crashes, falls, house fires, heat/cold exposure, and medication overdoses are also much higher in older adults.

The point of this article is to convice the reader that gun control is not a political issue, but one of public health. This is not a new tactic but rather one that gun control groups have tried on and off for at least two decades if not longer. The fact of the matter is that older people, like any other demographic, are not all the same and the decision as to whether or not an individual is capable of safely and responsibly owning a firearm is one that, like any number of other decisions, should be made on a case-by-case basis.

Pahoo

Make the shoe fit.

Hey Harry; The lady wants a green dress so turn on the green light. As mentioned you can find a way to slant anything to fit ones agenda. It's like saying that people who drive, are more likely to get in automobile accidents than those who don't. The gun grabbers stay up all night, thinking of these things and back it up with their "proof" the next. .... ;)
The beat goes on ..... :)

Be Safe !!!

Standing Wolf

Member in memoriam
The point of this article is to convice the reader that gun control is not a political issue, but one of public health. This is not a new tactic but rather one that gun control groups have tried on and off for at least two decades if not longer.

Well said, Webleymkv. If the Marxists can't win in the legislatures, they'll fight in the courts. If they can't win in the courts, they'll try to fight on completely different terms in the bureaucracy.

arentol

Over the last 15 years Japan has had almost twice the suicide rate of the US and they accomplish virtually all their suicides without the help of firearms since they are highly illegal there. Sorry, but firearms don't cause suicides, mental health issues and/or various external forces cause suicides. The stupidest thing though is that all the time and money being put into getting rid of guns would be far better spent trying to prevent suicides and improve high-crime neighborhoods. Spending all that Brady money on those activities would have a much larger effect on firearm related deaths than spending it on lobbyists in Washington.

Then there is the fact that in 2007 suicide was not even in the top 10 causes of death among females age 55 or older in the US, so what is the problem amongst the elderly exactly?

http://www.cdc.gov/women/lcod/07_all_females.pdf

I also love how the article debunks itself by implying that the main risk is suicide, yet earlier in the article it has already pointed out that the risk of suicide among gun owners is only higher in the first 5 years after purchase.... Since we can safely assume that the vast majority of elderly people with guns have had them most of their adult lives that means there is no particular increased risk amongst that age group at all.

Dino.

I agree with the comment left by a reader ...
"What a dumb article. All speculation and conjecture."

JimPage

Pahoo: "It's like saying that people who drive, are more likely to get in automobile accidents than those who don't."

Well, they do, they? :D

vranasaurus

How exactly does owning a gun cause one to be a crime victim?

You can compare numbers all you want but that does not establish a causal relationship between two unrelated things.

GM1967

People who own guns are not more likely than the general population to die of a gunshot wound

People who get shot at are more likely to die of a gunshot wound