Paralyzed man wins right to own guns...

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Just seen the guy on fox news. He had been denied the FOID card or what ever the name in NJ as a chief of police said he "couldn't physically control a firearm". James had already purchased a mounting system for his electric wheel chair and a trigger device he could blow into to discharge the hunting weapon.

He had help from the NRA and beat the jokers in court!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/11/james-cap-paralyzed-man-c_n_353912.html

Here in FLA, we have a great female hunter who is severely limited in mobility and has a similar system but she has to look at a video camera display looking through her scope and uses a joystick with her toe to aim and an extended toggle switch is bumped with the same toe to fire... She bags plenty of deer with that set up...
Brent

Last edited:

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
And here is Stephanie with one of her bucks...
MVC-0027F.JPG

Note the controls at her right foot.
Brent

Coltman 77

Good for these folks for finding a way to get outdoors and hunt in spite of incredible odds.

Their situations are hard to imagine.

We all take so much for granted sometimes; like being able to walk.

And good for the NRA for winning the lawsuit.

Evan Thomas

Paralyzed man wins right to own guns...

Court confirms paralyzed man's right to own guns...

C'mon, Brent, I shouldn't've had to fix that for ya. He had the right already, the same as the rest of us...

:)

Last edited:

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
V, You are so right!!! I was literally grinding my teeth and grumbling as I watched the segment as I thought... "Who the (expletive omitted) does this jerkwater sorry chief think he is to deny a law abiding man his 2A right for being physically limited..."
Heck... if this fella can own and shoot guns...
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/member.php?u=84809
Anyone can if legal!
Brent

Rich Miranda

Has New Jersey even heard of the Americans with Disabilities Act?

If the law requires equal access to nearly everything under the ADA, doesn't it stand to reason that all folks have equal rights to firearms?

I don't even care if firearms are specifically covered under ADA! Heck, it's plain ol' common sense! Oh, wait, we're talking about New Jersey... :rolleyes:

And, yes, I lived there for 4 years, so I have earned the right to criticize :)

javabum

Not that i have ever lived there but i dont think you have to live some where to
voice you opposition to someones rights being violated.

That being said,i am glad the NRA and any other entity that kept this man's right to keep an bear arms regardless of his disability's.We have people out there like senators,assemblymen who are mentally deficient and still have guns
and their rights are not being denied.

Sorry for the brief rant.

jersey_emt

Being a New Jersey resident myself, I am especially pleased with the outcome of this situation.

More and more people in New Jersey are beginning to understand that guns are not evil and how important it is to fight to retain (or in our case, regain) our rights as American citizens that are outlined in the Second Amendment.

I myself am a perfect example of this. I was born and raised in New Jersey, and for most of my life believed that strict gun control is necessary. Only very recently have I realized the truth about firearms and the Second Amendment. Now, I proudly own multiple firearms and strongly support our rights to defend ourselves as outlined in our Constitution and its amendments. I have also become active in the fight to regain our rights here in New Jersey by joining and contributing to the NRA as well as successfully convincing several family members and friends the importance of our Second Amendment rights. Many have in response become firearms owners themselves, and have begun convincing their family and friends to do the same.

javabum

jersey_emt,i am glad you saw the light and are taking advantage of your rights
and hope you turn as many people as you possibly can.

jersey_emt

That's my plan, javabum. People here have generally never fired or even touched a gun in their whole life. The political and social climate here really pushes the notion that guns themselves are inherently evil and dangerous.

It's simple ignorance really. But once I am able to convince an avid anti-gunner to just come to the range with me, either just as a spectator or being instructed on how to safely operate and fire a handgun, almost everybody starts to see that their views are simply wrong.

I'm doing my part to help change the image of firearms here in anti-gun New Jersey. I feel that it is my duty to do so, and being that I grew up here and used to believe in strict gun control and that guns are inherently bad, helps other people who used to be like me to learn the truth.

MTT TL

ah, the Huffington Post, the bastion of freedom and freedom of speech:

This is ridiculous on many levels.

First, it's not a 2A issue. Those claiming this is a civil rights issue are smoking dope. Here's a man who cannot pickup his firearm, cannot aim it, cannot maintain it, cannot load/unload it, cannot store/unstore it, cannot carry it---all he can do is fire it via a breathing tube.

Second, this entire farce violates firearm safety 101.

Three, as bad as this situation is, it's probably preferable to most NRA adherents owning guns. After all, this man requires the assistance of least on other person to assist him in the operation of the firearm.

BTW, it seems CCW holders are killing a lot of people.

Again, your logic is lacking. A CCW holder is not an average citizen; per your NRA masters, a CCW holder is more law-abiding.

And those are just the warm-ups, simply crazy 24/7.

44 AMP

Staff
Right to own property...

Has nothing to do with the physical ability to use it. It is heartwarming that this man has a way (although with difficulty) to actually use a firearm, but that fact has nothing to do with his right to own one.

One has the right to own any property not declared illegal by the govt, whether you can use it or not. Blind people can own books, or cars, or even airplanes, or (gasp!) guns. Physical disability can restrict your ability to use them in public (blind people have a hard time getting a drivers license), but you could have a barn full of vintage cars if you could afford it, and the law doesn't stop you.

Glad the court stood up for individual property rights this time. And it most definately is a civil right issue!

What 44AMP said. It's a matter of the right to own property, not to use it. The government was overreaching and I'm glad the court slapped its hands.

jephthai

I was thinking the same thing -- what if he was a collector? There are many things people own that they don't use. I have a 14 DBI yagi that I've never used. It's just cool to bring out at (LAN) parties.