parallax

rebs

If you have a 3-9 x 40 scope is the parallax set for 100 yards ? what happens to the parallax of that scope at 200 and 300 yards ?

kilotanker22

Yeah it's probably 100 it 150 yards.

I personally don't think it's a big deal at longer ranges as much as it is at short range.

I shoot with a fixed parallax Nikon at 300 yards all the time. Doesn't seem to affect it out there.

Inside 50 yards the parallax becomes obvious

std7mag

It should be 100 yards, but check with your scope manufacturer.

I have no issues hitting at 600 yards with mine.

LineStretcher

This is a good question, I hear it often. Your scopes parallax is set to infinity and you use the magnification (power) to accomplish the best focus for the distance that you are shooting. If your scope has a diopter in the ocular lens then adjust that so that the reticle is crisp and clear. It will remain so at any magnification.

jmr40

Two parallax questions on the same page. Stop worrying about parallax. Here is a quote directly from a Leupold manual.

UNDERSTANDING PARALLAX Parallax is the apparent movement of the target relative to the reticle when you move your eye away from the center point of the eyepiece. It occurs when the image of the target does not fall on the same optical plane as the reticle. This can cause a small shift in the point of aim.Maximum parallax occurs when your eye is at the very edge of the exit pupil.(Even in this unlikely event, our 4x hunting scope focused for 150 yards has a maximum error of only 8/10ths of an inch at 500 yards.)At short distances, the parallax effect does not affect accuracy. (Using the same 4x scope at 100 yards, the maximum error is less than 2/10ths of an inch.) It is also good to remember that, as long as you are sighting straight through the middle of the scope, or close to it, parallax will have virtually no effect on accuracy in a hunting situation.