Parallax question

1stmar

If you wear prescription glasses does that contribute to parallax? I see it as another lens effectively.

Shooter2675

From what I have read, most people have not had any problems. I think you should just try it, at the range, by moving around your head and seeing if the reticle moves (with and without your glasses).

fourbore

I wear glass and have no problem making the adjustments. I am near sighted. I cannot read with the distance glasses. Not an answer, but fwiw, I do not think it matters.

In addition to the standard procedure to move you head side to side, I guess?? you could try and cant the angle of your glass and see if it matters. Should not, but since you ask, you might play around some.

Rimfire5

I am near sighted and also have pretty bad astigmatisms in both eyes - bad enough that red dot sights look like sausages to me, even with my corrective lenses on. I shoot better with my glasses using scopes on my target rifles.

However, if you also have progressive lenses or bifocals, they can impact getting a consistent point of aim when using a scope. When I switched to progressive lenses I found that my group sizes grew larger - I tested with the new glasses with the progressives and with an old pair of glasses without the progressive lenses and confirmed the results.

My optometrist explained that progressive lenses are only really clear in the center of the grind. When I use a scope, I tend to look more through the edges of the lens than the center, so I found that I was not able to get a consistent aiming point with the progressives.

I had new shooting glasses made with just the astigmatic and myopic corrections to be able to maintain aiming consistency when shooting for group sizes.

RKG

Assuming we're talking about scoped rifles (else "parallax" wouldn't be an issue): the answer to the OP's quesstion is flat "No."

Parallax happens when the focal plane of the scope and the plan of the reticle are not the same.

wogpotter

No.
Parallax is caused solely by the front (objective) lens not focusing in the same optical plane as the reticule.
Nothing behind the reticule has any effect.