Para-Ordance P14 vs. Taurus PT1911

JohnRaven

I've been wanting to get a 1911 for a very long time and I need to make up my mind! I know they are both great firearms, but which one would you prefer?

Para-Ordance P14 Pros: Double stack of 14+1 capacity
Para-Ordance P14 Cons: Possibly a bit to bulky

Taurus PT1911 Pros: Excellent fit and finish and overall a GREAT looking gun!
Taurus PT1911 Cons: Single stack of 8+1 capacity

I really like both guns, but that 6 shot difference is really a BIG difference.

I've held a few 1911 single stacks and they felt pretty good in my hand. I've yet to even find anyone in my area that has a hi-cap 1911 much less a P14!

I would say I have medium sized hands so that is something to consider since I don't know how a P14 fits my hand.

What do you guys think? :confused:

orionengnr

What are you going to do with it?

For a range/nightstand gun I'd take the 14 rounds every time (and actually, my nightstand gun is a Para Tac Four (stainless 13+1 double stack).

If you are going to carry it, an all-steel 1911 is a bit too heavy for me. A 14-round all steel 1911, even more so.

tenholewheels

i have a p16-40

and i love it but if you're gonna carry it you better get a thick belt and a back brace. mines the LDA trigger which is really sweet almost too light. but she is very accurate oh i would keep in mind that the grip on them is fat i have big hands so its a good fit for me. my buddy who bought it originally couldn't hold it without a lot of wiggling and fidgeting around.

JohnRaven

I think I'm mostly going to use it as a home defense/range gun...

The width of the grip is my main concern...

Hmm, I guess I'm just going to have to find a P14 and see if it fits in my hand! :p

Btw, from what I've seen, the P14's seem to run a bit higher ($$$) compared to the Taurus.

What have you guys paid for the hi-cap Para's?

EDIT:
Forged frame and slide on Taurus, cast on Para.
Thank you! I did not know that!

Officer's Match

Don't get me wrong - Para's a good outfit. And qc at Taurus can be hit or miss on many models, but my PT1911 is a very sweet handling and shooting 1911. I have a few decent ones to compare it to, and it shoots as well as any of 'em.

45_Shooter

I've owned plenty of 1911's, but none have been either a Para or a Taurus. I have shot both and seen quite a few though, so here's my thoughts.

Para-Ordance P14 Pros: Better QC; fitting, more non-traditional options. Their appearance isn't as gaudy either.

Para-Ordance P14 Cons: Para QC although better than Taurus has never been wonderful. My gunsmith dislikes them but admits they are a good source of income if that says anything. Some have oddball parts (if you need service) and expensive mags for the high caps.

Taurus PT1911 Pros: Single stack of 8+1 capacity; "traditional 1911 design"

Taurus PT1911 Cons: Hit or miss parts quality and fit and finishing (I've never seen one that qualifies as excellent, but apparently others have); Taurus customer service. I think they're ugly too, but that's personal taste.

Given the choice I'll go for the Canadian gun. But unless someone gives one to me I would look to another maker than the two listed. You can get a much better gun for your money, IMO.

Edit: I wouldn't really worry about forged or cast in the price bracket you're looking at. Parts quality and fitting are much more important in the lower end 1911's. If you're a high volume shooter concerned about durability then a forged gun makes sense. Most budget 1911's will be doing good to make it to 5-10k rounds before a parts breakage; but the slide or frame cracking are the least of your worries until you have many more rounds than that.

michael t

After my bad experiance with a Para I'd buy a Taurus. But still better than Taurus in that price range Springfield beats both

Given the choice I'll go for the Canadian gun

Para is all American now. There are no longer made in Canada. That is why they are now Para USA

Some have oddball parts (if you need service)

That are easily obtained from Brownells and the fact that the 1911 is one of the easiest guns to service is just so much better.

and expensive mags for the high caps.

Depends on where you look. I can get 14 rounders for 25 bucks.

Dash

i would get a PT1911 for a range beater, Para for defense.
have seen broken para slides used in competition.

Officer's Match

Neither, but taking the best of the two it is a clear and easy choice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Para

Funon1

With all due respect, you may want to put funon1's comments into perspective re: Taurus PT1911's. Known hater of 'em. Nothing personal here, just something that's been demonstrated. :)