Para-Ord

Radagast

Accurate, feels good in my hand. Prone to reliability problems with reloads. The 100% reliable ones I have seen were basically a para frame and slide with everything else changed out.

'Features' a series 80 firing pin safety, a plastic trigger and mag release. LTD model I am told uses a different slide cut to Bomar, Caspian, etc, so changing your sights may be a problem.
Ambi mag release available through Smith & Alexander.

I would suggest one as a range gun, but if you can afford the price, get a STI or SV instead. Otherwise the Bul M5 / Kimber polymer may be a better bet, the two Buls I have seen are 100% reliable.
I haven't tried their LDA, I'm waiting for one of my mates to fork out the dollars as the test bunnie first, but it does call to me from the display case each time I walk past it.....

Radagast

critter44

I have both a P-14 .45 and a p-16 .40 cal. I really like them both. I sometimes carry the P-14 for ccw. Both are very accurate and ultra-reliable but have had some mods before I got them. I would have bought a little p-10 for ccw but the grip was SO small I didn't think I could hold it secure enough for serious 'social work'. Good luck.

I also have both a P.14.45 LTD and P16.40 LTD. Both of these guns are very accurate and reliable. Haven't had any malfunctions of any kind and have probably put at least a 1000 rounds through both guns.

The only complaint I have is that the finish on one of them is starting to wear off slightly on the butt.

I paid $750 for both guns, and with all the extras the LTD's come with, I'm surprised everybody doesn't buy them instead of the standard paras.:D

Safe shooting.

urban assault

I carry one just about everyday and I really like this pistol. I have the "Limited", in stainless, and it looks and shoots wonderful. I havent modified it except for a self-made radical meltdown and a different texturing finish. What I did with the finish is hard to explain but it looks kinda like a subdued "Damascas" steel. Lotsa swirls. I would buy one again without reservation.

michael

coonan357

Lda 14.45 owner here no problems so far and owned it for 2 years and 2500 rounds now , only mods done are hogue grips (wraparound) and polishing the feed ramp shoot both factory and reloads with out problems (other than forgetting to resize a case )Hi cap mags needed lip service thats it , going to buy the 7.45 lda next .

branrot

I've been really happy with my Stainless P13.45, with two minor exceptions. It's had these little spots on top of the slide. They look like rust, but have not grown in the years I've owned it. Also, the paint on the sights has been rubbing off. Other than that, an excellent pistol.

ryucasta

I currently own three Limited Para’s, a P16, P14 and a P13. I tend to use my P16 the most of the three (400 rounds per week). While they are good guns, I find the internal factory parts leave much to be desired and if I had it to do over again I would have bought either an SV or an STI (which I have).

The initial cost of the gun plus the gunsmiths labor plus the downtime of not having the use of the gun while its being worked on and the cost of the replacement parts put it in the same price range as the SV Infinity or the STI Edge.

This opinion applies strictly from a competitive point of view. i.e. IPSC.

Nightcrawler

I'm interested in a P14-45 Limited. Even if I can't afford too many pre-ban magazines, 10+1 of .45ACP will usually get the job done anyway. The P14 combines three features I like in a pistol:

-10+ rounds capacity
-.45ACP

:D

sja2249

I've owned a P14.45 Limited for a couple of years now. Several thousand rounds
downrange. I've had no problems whatsoever. It's completely stock, except for
the Hogue grips. I've fired handloads, Wolf, and American ammo through it with
no problems. It's very accurate, and easy to control .

bountyh

My P1640 LDA LTD shoots really well. Finish quality was not very good when I got it. Lots of dings and scratches, barrel throat and ramp were rough and needed extensive polishing to get reliable feeding. Overall I keep hearing the same as printed above in other posts: the frame, slide and barrel are bulletproof reliable, but the internal parts break too often (and most comp shooters gut them out for that reason). I think they could be making a terrific gun, but are just making an OK gun with inconsistent quality due to mediocre QA. That is probably true of most gun makers (Springfield, Colt, Kimber, etc)

SlackO

Like Coonan, I have a 14.45 LDA and love it. Also have the Hogue grips and love em. About 1,000 rds and no problems yet even with the flying ashtrays. The gun fits my hand perfectly with the Hogues and the balance is perfect.

15 rounds of .45 is hard to beat... (I got two of the factory 14's with the in box offer)

killer45auto

P-13 Over 15,000 rounds and counting , they are all reloads , never jams great gun ,the ramped barrel really seems to feed extremely well.

Nightcrawler

So what kind of magazine mix do you folks prefer? Seeing as how 14 rounders can run anywhere from sixty to a hundred and ten dollars, stocking up on a great many of them would quickly surpass the cost of the pistol.

For me, I think four 14 or 15 rounders would be adequate for the most part, with a bunch of less expensive 10 rounders as well.

croyance

Nightcrawler,
For any pistol I own that has pre-ban magazines, I keep at least a couple of 10 round magazines around for range use. No sense in beating up the diminishing supply of pre-bans.

As for how many full capacity magazines to keep around, for me it depends on the caliber. I feel confident in the effects of seven .45 ACP's. For the most part, I carry single stack pistols, even 9 mm.

I buy full capacity magazines when I find them in good shape and at a good price.