Para-Ord LDA .45 poll

Would you carry a P-14 or P-16 LDA if your agency would allow it?

• Those guns ROCK! I envy you. I'd bet my life on one.

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • I wouldn't feel poorly armed, but I could get that with a Ruger or Taurus.

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • If you buy one, buy two: One to crap on and one to cover it up with.

Votes: 13 38.2%

• Total voters

samsmix

I am not allowed to pack a single action auto, but I do like 1911s and can carry any 9/.40/.45 DA auto I want. These made a big splash when they hit the market, but I don't know of anyone using them on the job...any job. would you carry one as an LEO? Anyone have experience with them?

18DAI

I had a 7.45 LDA. Sweetest trigger I ever squeezed, on an unreliable, expensive POS. Shame too, because it was accurate as a laser. I wish another company would produce a DA 45 with a trigger, and accuracy like it had. Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear. I definitely wish it had functioned properly. I still miss that trigger. Regards 18DAI.

Edited to add: My agency only allows TDA, or DAO, and specifically prohibited the Para LDA due to reliability/durability concerns.

liliysdad

Get a Sig P220 or a 4566 Smith of you want a single stack, .45acp in DA. The 1911 is a SA gun, and no amount of Rube Goldberg will make that thing Para builds a 1911.

croyance

I have had one. Nice trigger. It wouldn't be my first choice, which isn't quite an option on the poll. Mine had worked fine, but with more complicated trigger mechanisms I like to hear that everybody has had a good experience, which isn't the case.

orionengnr

I have owned four, two single stack and two double. Only had trouble with one C-6, and that only took an extractor tweak to become 100%.

So I guess you could say that my experience differs from some people's opinion.

Of course, I have read bad stuff about Kahrs and Kimbers too, and have owned (and loved) both...

DBski

Never had any problems with my 745LDA. Like they said great trigger and accuracy and ate all kinds of ammo with out a hitch.

jeo556

Never had a Para Problem!

Never owned a Para but did get to shoot one a couple of times at the local range. I was interested in the double stack LDA set up so I rented one at the range twice. Both times I put 200 rounds through the gun, never had a failure at all. However, I have heard that they aren't to be totally trusted. You must remember that there are lemons everywhere. My neighbor who used to be in law enforcement, owned a Sig P220 that he said was absolutely worthless. He used different mags, ammo, then sold it at a big loss. Does that mean that all Sigs suck, NO! But his did. I liked the idea of the LDA trigger and the double stack in a otherwise 1911 format so much that I was ready to purchase a Para and send it to a reputable smith for a total reliability/CCW overhaul just because I had bad things from other. I ended up with a Night Hawk Custom instead. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Jeo556

mdell2

I have the Tac Four and it is a double stack 45 auto. It is wonderful. One of the best triggers you can find. Try to find someone and try it. Well worth the money. You will ot be sorry. Most of the smaller 1911's have feeding problems (all makes suffer the problem) but the bigger ones are ok.

tomgow29

I have a Tac Four that I have carried for both uniformed duty and plainclothes. I initially had a few extraction problems with my duty ammo, but a new recoil spring (old one was three coils short) cleared that up. No problems since in about 1000 rounds (200 of them duty ammo). That said, I am probably going to switch back to the traditional 1911 platform.

john in jax

I currently own and trust my life (CCW) a Para 7.45 LDA and/or a C7.45 LDA. They have never given me any problems.

I owned and carried a Para 12.45 LDA for about a year with no issues. I only got rid of it because I traded up to stainless in the 7.45s

I owned and occasionaly carried a Para P14 (single action) for +/-15 years. I may have put 2,000 rounds through this gun with no issues that I can remember.

samsmix

So this is not a 1911 for guys who can't carry a 1911. I know that the trigger will never be the = of a SA, but alot of you sighted reliability issues, and that just won't do. I love the 1911 grip frame, but I would place reliability over any other quality.

Leaning twards an XD-45

sdj

Para LDA

I test-fired a Coyote at a local range; very good shooter with no issues.
You mentioned the XD. Many folks are saying good things about the M&P, too. It sounds like S&W is having a hard time keeping up with the demand for the M&Ps, though.

Good luck!

hj28rules

I have had a Para-Tac 4 for several years. I 've never had a problem with it other than the cost of extra mags. Great trigger, fun to shoot, but the fat grip takes some getting used to. It now does dedicated home defense duty and only occasionally gets fired since I got my CZ75B....:rolleyes:

LM...Ft. Worth, Tx.
SFC US Army (ret. 1996)

saboteur

I am in issued a Para Ord LDA Hi-Cap .45 (Stainless), for LEO job. It is a sweet shooter, and I've never had a malfunction...knocks on wood.