Para Ord Elite series

wstein

I have started planning my next gun purchase and I have decided on a 1911 frame. I am tired of buying poly guns right now and want a nice metal framed pistol. One of my choices I have narrowed down to is the Para Ordnance Elite Stainless.

I like the stainless look of it, it doesn't have a bunch is engraving splashed all over the slide, it is in my price range, and it manufactured in my home state. I have seen all the marketing videos and websites from Para. So my interest is high on this handgun. But that is all marketing material to make their product look the best

What I would like is anyone with real world experience with Para products, their CS, the Elite series, etc. Is this a worth while purchase. I have handled a few of their other guns but never shot one. I have heard some bad reviews about Para in the past, but I have also heard a lot of good reviews lately.

I currently own a Kimber Ultra Carry II and a Rock Island GI, so I am familiar with the 1911 line of pistols. This will not be a carry pistol but instead a range gun to have fun shooting with.

Last edited:

Bamashooter

My Para G.I. Expert is a entry level 1911 but its reliable and accurate as heck. It has a pretty good trigger but could be better. I paid $499+tax for a pretty good made in the U.S.A. 1911. :):):):)

Rinspeed

Just my opinion but I would never own a Para. They are the king of marginally made cast parts. Not sure if they still are using them but some twit in the company actually, at one point, thought it might be a good idea to use a cast extractor. He's probaly pumping gas somewhere as we speak. :confused:

kcub

I had one made up from a frame years ago. It never worked right. I don't know how they've stayed in business.

Like Taurus, hit or miss I guess. Since they are cheap, they must appeal to gamblers. So I guess you have to ask yourself, "Do I feel lucky?".

Caz83

I have a para LDA Carry 9 and it is crazy accurate for a 3". I out-shoot and get tighter groups than my Dan Wesson Guardian in 9mm. I did have issues with FTF and dbl feed. I had a smith look it over and it had some burrs on the power extractor and needed a complete breakdown to clean it (ex. firing pin extractor disassembly). My advice is know how to take apart the 1911 platform than just regular field strip and clean/lube accordingly.

If issues arise you can try sending it to para but my experience with their smiths is less than stellar. I had them install an ambi safety and when I received it, the safety had backed out and was dangling right out of the box. I blame the bad install for some scratches I incurred on the slide and frame. Had a local smith fix their mistakes.

scubatop

I have the GI Expert in stainless. Love the gun. Have shot Springfield, colt and Kimber. The PARA shoots really well and with approx 300 rounds no issues with feeds nor ejects. I have not shot anything other than 230 grain FMJ through it so far. A buddy I shoot with has several Kimbers, a PARA, and a Colt and he really likes the PARA. It's one 1911 that always ends up in the bag when we head to the range. DOn't know about past issues with them but I have been very satisfied with mine. All stainless with match barrel.