panic buying ?

rebs

I was in Gander Mountain and a local gun shop this morning and could not believe the crowds. They were buying everything from guns and ammo to reloading supplies. Ammo and reloading supplies were being bought in large quantities. One guy was buying 5 boxes or primers, (that is 5000 primers) 16 lbs of powder and 4000 bulk bullets.

rickyrick

As one candidate falls, there goes the potential of four years of gun control calm.
It's a sign that confidence has fallen with new scandals.

Rumors of regional conflicts are growing and a public that is becoming more and disturbed. Riots and unrest are the new normal. With the party in place and the next... it is the policy of new normals.

Old Bill Dibble

If true then I guess my buying spree is over. No point in buying when prices are high.

I suppose I'll wait till the prices get to eye watering levels and then start selling stuff I don't shoot anymore.

FITASC

One guy was buying 5 boxes or primers, (that is 5000 primers) 16 lbs of powder and 4000 bulk bullets.

He's a fool; he could have bought more for less on line and had it delivered to his door. 5000 primers (called a sleeve) and 2 8# jugs is my normal order (now I shoot more clay targets than anything so it goes quickly)

I hope all those folks who are panic buying are also taking the time to VOTE

NateKirk

Republicans control congress, congress can repeal executive actions. The senate has the duty of approving supreme court nominees. Also of note is that people who generally vote democrat do not participate as often in congressional elections.

All we're in for is another 8 years of an ineffective government.
Rome fell in part to weak leadership and infighting; hopefully we have more chances left.
Sorry to the mods if this post is too political.

Eazyeach

Riots and unrest the new norm? Think maybe you overstated that a bit there rickyrick. America is the greatest country on earth and will survive 4 years with either of these D bags in office. Let's not fan the fires of a buying panic. Turns off new shooters when they can't find anything to feed their new guns.

Joe_Pike

Nothing but crickets where I work. It's the slowest it's been since I've worked there (almost three years). Ramen noodles for me for awhile.

NateKirk

I was thinking of that Joe; I thought it would be busier at work but it's relatively normal for the most part. My theory is that everyone who wanted to buy an MSR already did in the last few panics, and people usually aren't too concerned with bolt guns or shotguns. Or really handguns for that matter too.

shafter

I haven't seen panic buying here yet. I think people are optimistic in a certain candidate. If that candidate's numbers start falling I fully expect to see panic buying like we haven't seen before.

I would strongly advise taking advantage of this time of relative plenty.

Old Bill Dibble

Our small town has five gun shops. One (2nd largest) has almost gone under. They jacked prices the highest and the fastest in 2012 and people remembered. Two of the others have shelves and shelves full of product. They say they are waiting for the election to sell off their stock. One sells only used guns. The other looked fairly normal but it's Walmart.

No panics at any of them.

tony pasley

It is preparing for a storm, some get ready and stay ready, some get ready just after the storm warnings are announced, others don't ever prepare and cry when the storm hits.

5whiskey

I haven't seen any yet. I'm pretty stocked up on components. I would like to get another 1k .223 projectiles, but other than that I'm pretty good.

If I was anyone that did not have a decent ammo supply, at least one years worth and preferably two or three, I would quietly begin to buy ammo/components right now while there is still time. Just in case. Given our past, it's not a bad policy.

dakota.potts

I keep worrying if I should get a little more ammo myself. I don't panic hoard but I like to be active as a shooter while keeping a reasonable reserve and lately I haven't had the money to keep much of a stock. The real enemy is going to be the panic consumption vs. any kind of governmental control, if you ask me. Hopefully manufacturers have ramped up enough that they do not become so swamped this time around.

g.willikers

Musher,
:p
I was thinking the same thing.
For folks who regularly shoot a lot and especially compete, that amount of stuff is no big deal.
Not for hording, but for use, like putting gas in your car every week.
Never did understanding panic buying anyway.
Seems like it's the least prepared who do that.

CLC

I will never "panic buy" and refuse to buy into the fear mongering. Know one knows what a future ban may look like so no telling if all that money spent in a panic would go to waste.

Interesting way to fuel the economy. :D

Keep in mind that food & water are the most important things to have. 2A allows you to keep them if there are riots or looting.

As for myself, I want another cord of cedar. It's getting cold.