Pancho Villa question

Maser

Yes, moderators this is firearms related.

Just a quick question for the history buffs here. What cartridges are being worn in the bandoilers that Pancho Villa is wearing. I can't really tell. From the looks of them it looks like either .45-70 or .444 Marlin.

Jim Watson

Well, you don't show or link a picture you are working from, so I will just point out that the .444 Marlin came out in 1964 and Pancho Villa was long gone by then.

Maser

Sorry.

AAE73085-03.jpg

44 AMP

Staff
Bottlenecked cartridges

In your picture, so definately not .45-70 either.

Best guess, considering they appear to be fairly long round nosed bullets would be 7mm Mauser (military ammo).

The 7mm Mauser was very popular in Mexico, being the official Spanish military round adopted in 1892, and adopted by Mexico in 1895. Mexico retained the 7mm Mauser as its service rifle riound until 1954, when the adopted the .30-06.

I could be wrong, of course, but 7x57mm Mauser seems like the best bet. I don't remember the exact year, but it was before WW I, so all newer rounds are out of the question. And, it is unlikely (but not impossible) that they would be US rounds, but US rounds would be fairly hard to come by, while 7mm Mauser could be obtained from Mexican Govt supplies. (without their permission, of course, Villa was, after all a revolutionary)

Hope this helps.

Maser

Yeah, thanks 44 AMP.

After finding the pic I posted, I kind of had my foot in my mouth by thinking it was .45-70 or .444 Marlin because the pic I posted was a pic I never seen before and the best pic I could find with Google. Didn't want to edit my OP though.

Anyways, thanks and I'm keep the 7mm Mauser in my mind and do some more research.

T. O'Heir

If you're doing a paper on Pancho Villa, there are all kinds of sites on Yahoo. There's even an "Official Pancho Villa" site.

Maser

No, it's nothing for school seeing as I'm home schooled. :D I just have always been really into learning about Pancho Villa. All the cool pics I seen of him, I have always noticed the cool looking bandoilers with huge looking cartridges and never could quite tell what they were.

Trapper L

I think you will find that the cartridges in the photo are far too short to be the 7x57. Considering that early in Villas' career the US Gov't was supporting him and selling him guns and ammo, it's most likely the new round of the times that we call the 3006. The loading of the day was a 220 gr bullet loaded to 2300'ps. This would be consistant with the long bullets in the pic.

The .30-06 was never government loaded with 220-gr. bullets.

The standard bullet for the .30-03 was the 220-gr. round nose bullet that had been adopted for use in the Krag rifle.

The .30-03 was abandoned after 3 years in service in favor of the .30-06, which had a shorter neck and a flat-based pointed bullet weighing 150 grains.

And those cartridges in his crossed bandoliers don't look too short to be 7x57 at all. They are definitely rifle cartridges of some type.

claude783

How about the 30-40 Krag? Was in use in the Phillipines...Teddy and the Rough Riders...it was after that the gov't switched to a new caliber, which became out 30 caliber 1906...or 30-06.