Painting the Front Sight: Ruger SP-101 Snubby

MrBot

I'm thinking--and that often gets me in a lot of trouble--of painting my front sight. The rear sight is really nothing more than a groove & I'll probably just leave it alone. The front is the stock black steel ramp. I'm thinking about maybe painting the top half (front half) with yellow or green nail polish & the bottom half (rear half) with something like Gun Glow phosphorescent paint. It looks greenish in the ads. This is really kind of a range fun gun shooting @ paper targets but I suppose it could be used for cc. ..good idea? ..bad idea?

TJB101

With my older eyes I did and it does help. I used testers flat white then fluorescent paint on top and then coated with clean nail polish. I have green, orange and yellow testers paints ... orange is my favorite so far for the front sight. Really pops nicely.

HiBC

Back in the 1970's I played with painting the front sight on my Super Blackhawk.
I don't paint sights any more. IMO, MAYBE in combat just finding the front sight like a shotgun bead is good.

Some folks cut a dovetail in the front sight and put in bright dayglow plastic inserts.

But there is a difference between just finding a front sight,and the fine definition required for aiming. If I want to focus on precise sight alignment,dead black is best.

There is a certain amount of holster wear and muzzle blast around a front sight.

The paint on the sharp edges is fragile. A breakdown of clear,sharp edges makes precise sight alignment far more difficult,especially in variable light.

That may not matter for 7 yd snubbie blasting. It does matter on 25 yd pop cans

shurshot

I just painted the bare front sight on my new SW 27, same as my 642, 10 and 39-2... I used a extremely obnoxious bright florescent orange fingernail paint I located at the 'Mart. Two coats to be sure, then 3 coats of clear fingernail polish to seal it. Without the clear sealer, it tends to chip away during recoil. I allow the stuff to dry overnight between coats.
Yup, I got a strange look at the checkout counter when buying the fingernail polish... I just smiled at the clerk and told her I couldn't wait to paint my toenails!

unclenunzie

Yep, white base coat, some bright color that works for you several coats, then clear coat. That's what I did with my 642 front ramp, works well.

dontcatchmany

For ramp sights I used orange DUCK tape. PITA to get the tape cut and stuck, but so far my 686 and 627 are holding up well. SP101 has been difficult in that it seems to want to lift off more readily than other guns.....could just need to be degreased or really cleaned.

Use flourescent spray paint for dot semis. Takes being meticulous with a toothpick or such as that. Tried Q tips but can not get them to fit into the front dot readily without messing up the whole bit of "art work".

lee n. field

I'm thinking--and that often gets me in a lot of trouble--of painting my front sight. The rear sight is really nothing more than a groove & I'll probably just leave it alone. The front is the stock black steel ramp. I'm thinking about maybe painting the top half (front half) with yellow or green nail polish & the bottom half (rear half) with something like Gun Glow phosphorescent paint. It looks greenish in the ads. This is really kind of a range fun gun shooting @ paper targets but I suppose it could be used for cc. ..good idea? ..bad idea?

Not a bad idea. I've painted the front sight post of all of the (relatively few) snubs I've had over the years. It's cheap, it's reversible. it's certainly more visible than the silver stainless normal color.

The SP101 has a removable sight blade, so you might actually go looking for something more to your liking to install. Night sight? Fiber optic?

CajunBass

I've painted my front sights for years. At first it was "White Out" correction fluid, which worked, but wore off quickly. Now it's white and orange nail polish that I got at the dollar store for about a buck a bottle. More than enough to last me the rest of my life. A coat of white, a coat of orange, and it's good to go. Lasts a long time too.

T. O'Heir

DUCK tape will wash off in the wet. The adhesive isn't waterproof. Takes a while though.
"...At first it was "White Out"..." Yep. It's cheap too.
One of those auto touch up pens is your friend. Any green paint will disappear in low light. So will red.
"...precise sight alignment..." Won't be with the rear being just a groove. Made for firefights in phone booths.

WheelGunMan

I paint the front sight with white lure paint. I wipe it first with denatured alcohol then dab on lure paint. Holds up really well and pops pretty good with a little light.

I purchased a tritium night sight but was disappointed with it in daylight. Dabbed on some white lure paint. It pops pretty well and the Tritium shines thru at night.

Tom-R2

On my Ruger LCR, I have a white ramp and a small spot of florescent orange Testors paint. Just a drop. Be sure to clean it well, I suggest acetone wipe, then let dry first. You just need something to draw your sight to the front ramp.

gnystrom

I painted it white followed by fluorescent red halfway up the ramp so I can get a perfect sight picture.
20180424-092058.jpg

pete2

I can see the front sight on my 642, don't know why. Beretta 92FA, SS, couldn't see it at all. Orange pain for me, Have to do it on a CMD and a Citadel 1911 gun. Black sights are good if the angle is right, my Kimber has a great black front sight. It works best with a white base coat then the orange. Stays on better than I thought it would.

Sharkbite

Back in the day i started carrying a gun for a living, my issued duty gun was a S&W 64 (that dates me a little). I kept a Testors orange paint pen in my locker.

The stainless front sight and grove rear was just crap for fast shooting. I would paint the front sight at the end of a shift when it started wearing and it was good to go the next day. Easy touch up.