Painting Pelican Cases

ADIDAS69

Has anyone discovered a method for painting pelican cases that doesn’t involve super pricey adhesion promoters and or sand blasting? I used my pressure washer and will see if that has a net benefit.

HiBC

I can give you a lead,but not a solution. I have not done this. You are on your own.

Polyethylenes and polypropylenes are plastics that nothing sticks to very well.

You can mix epoxy in a poly bowl and after it sets,crack the epoxy off the poly.

(Beware! Don't mix a bunch of epoxy in a poly bowl! It gets real hot!)

The folks who sell stuff in plastic bottles needed to figure out how to get label paint to stick.

Once again,you are in your own,but they figured out passing a flame over the surface would oxidize it a few molecules deep and give the paint something to stick to.

Good luck!

ballardw

I'm not sure which adhesion promoters you are looking at. May want to wonder down to a shop that does lots of model planes and such for less expensive adhesion promoters.

And clean first with something like denatured alcohol may be a help.

MTT TL

Nail polish often comes with an adhesion agent in it. Nail polish tends to be about the same price as modeling paint.

Shadow9mm

Wipe it down with brake cleaner or alcohol. Try something like brownells alumahyde 2, or a spray paint that is specifically designed to bond to plastics, like krylon fusion. Use some painters tape, do some small test areas somewhere that does not normally show. You might try some light sanding, like a fibe sanding sponge, just yo give the paint something to grab onto.