Painting a shotgun????

Calhoun123

If I pick up a cheap well used 870 with a worn finish, is there any reason not to spray the external surfaces down with a good quality spray paint to prevent rust? I'm sort of thinking of a gun to use on wet hunts. A high dollar finish wouldn't be appropriate on a cheap beater shotgun. Any comments or advice?

HiBC

There are strippable camo bow paints.Come off easy.

I did a rifle with a stainless barrel in Brownell's Gun coat after sandblast.You have to bake it about 300 f..
An option,a muzzleloader brown patina.

zippy13

Paint would work on the exterior, but what about the innards? If the finish is well worn on the outside, the interior's not going to be like new. I suspect paint on the inside would jamb things up pretty good. If you just paint the outside, then how are you going to prevent the guts from corroding on your wet hunts? You'll probably rely on a liberal application of a fluid or aerosol protectant. Why not use the same stuff on the exterior? You say you want the paint to prevent rust, but I suspect you're looking for a cheap dress-up, and there's nothing wrong with that.
In reality, most shooters will apply a water disbursing agent inside and out before and after wet hunts, and you'll do the same.
If you're trying to duplicate Remington's classic bright blue with spray paint, you'll be disappointed. But it you're looking for a matte or camo finish you may be well pleased with paint. Have you considered camo tape or a ghillie wrap to pimp-up your field gun?

515017_oi.jpg

AK103K

Paint works great. Plus, it gives you something to do over layoff. :)

The 1100 on in the bottom of this pic was painted over 15 years ago and used/abused regularly over that time.

ry%3D320

I just stripped the paint off about a month ago and now it looks like this.....

ry%3D320

Wont look like this for long, I smell layoff coming. :)

mikenbarb

AK, Thank you for taking that paint off the 1100. It just aint rite to paint them. Their too nice and theirs other options besides Rustoleum that are alot better and nicer looking. Ya still got the regular stock for it?

AK103K

The paint aint there to make it pretty, its there cause it works. I paint most all my hunting and some other type guns that might see use, but especially hard use.

This was one of the latest. :)

ry%3D320

Swampghost

I paint rifles and shotguns all of the time while being aware of resale value, you DON'T want to paint or refinish a classic. Here's my Mini-14, only cost $35.00.

000_0102.jpg

I just picked up an old Stevens 12 ga. SbS for the same $ and plan to do the entire gun but a little differently. Pics will follow. Too many hurricanes to worry about painting guns right now.

AK103K

you DON'T want to paint or refinish a classic.
I'll paint anything. :)

I painted my MP5 a couple of times. If you use Testors, it will come completely off, with a little work, and no damage to the gun.

The whole point of painting them is to make them more usable in the field. Its a plus you get an added level of protection for the finish.

mikenbarb

Yes, I agree that some guns have a need to have a camo finish but others are just toooooo nice to cover the beauty up. I have both, Camo and nice wood and I tend to grab the wood first unless im hunting for turkey or waterfowl.