Painted your bolt gun???

stillGHILLIE

I just ordered a Stevens 200 for a truck/varmint gun. One of the first things I will do after topping it with a Pentax Gameseeker scope will be to camo the whole thing. I've painted a couple of rifles in the past with some pretty good results, but I would like to draw some inspiration for a camo pattern from you guys and gals if you would share a pic or two.

Thanks!

wolverine350

This is a pic of my Benelli Nova i just did, it was black synthetic before the paint, i also done my Stevens 200 the same way , using a maple leaf stencil and the Krylon fusion camo paint

Attachments

• Benelli.JPG
    Benelli.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 755

Chris Phelps

Thanks wolverine, but it is not mine. That pic is one I found on Savageshooters.com when I was looking for a paint scheme for my Stevens 200. As you can see by my other posts on this board in the past two weeks, It hasn't made it to camo-status as of yet. I decided I liked the look of the solid OD Green too much to try just yet.

sectshun8

How difficult is this process though? I mean, I've painted some vehicle plastics before with some sanding, plastic primer and then spray paint.... what's different with painting your rifle?

Does the paint really hold up from the heat?

shooter_john

All of mine are done differently, but I kinda like em that way. The LR 308 is wrapped in burlap and twine (very effective camo, but not friendly on conventional free floated barrels), the Savage w/ Choate was "stenciled" with tall wide blades of grass and Krylon, the Savage 12FVSS is brown over green Krylon and Testors, and the AR is is the same only I traced a black area on some woodland cammies and stenciled it in in black.

Mysniperrifles.jpg

joshua

Does Krylon paint stand to abuse? What did you use to degrease the external surfaces of the barrel and action to get the paint to stick? My Remington PSS is begging for a paint job and I hate the exterior finish of the PSS, it creates lint like crazy and you can see it clinging on to the surface of the rifle. josh

shooter_john

Krylon holds up well enough, I've never see it necessary to use the more expensive stuff at all. The Testors Flat OD Green is my favorite color of any, but it can get pricey and can be a little finicky as far as the environment in which it is applied. I use 409 or Greased Lightening to degrease with, and occassionally fine sand paper or steel wool to rough up the area a little.

oldcars

I just painted the stock on my Stevens 200 in two color brown desert camo, The base coat is a light brown/tan that is a paint made for plastics, I bought it at Bi-mart. I took all the mold seam lines and sharp edges off the stock with an exacto-knife, file and fine sandpaper. I slightly sanded the rest of the stock, then wiped it down with laquer thinner, let it sit out in the sun and get warm, then sprayed it. It was about 95f and it was a nice dry desert heat, dried hard, but I havn't used the gun yet. I would post pics, but I am compu-retarded so.....

Slopemeno

I paint a lot of other stuff (r/c sailplane parts) with Krylon, and I've found it stays "soft" for about two weeks until it's gassed off completely. After that it's a decent paint for cheap. Orchard Supply has 1.99-on-sale cans of spray paint that, last time I checked, were manufactured by Krylon.

I've found a good "post-cure" of taking the item to work and leaving it in my car to bake in the sun really shortens the drying time, but that might not be the best idea here.

HighValleyRanch

Its all your fault!

I stripped the stock finish off my marlin and resculpted it a little, installed a fore end rail, and was going to just use stain and tru oil, and then saw this thread.
If I hadn't just read this thread, but I did and then......

camo1.jpg

The color of the woods around here in Northern Calif. is golden grass, tan oak leaves, rust madrone trunks, green pines.
And no, I didn't do the leupold, because I'm borrowing it off my brothers rifle!