Paging Dave McC.....

Tim Whittaker

I have read many of your posts and you seem extremely well versed on the 870 and Shotguns in general. I would appreciate a little schooling (free advise) I ordered the 870 Police with the wood stock, standard capacity 4+1? I would like to know what I should do in the way of mods? Nothing Rambo, just want to make it an effective HD tool. I bought some slugs (for fun) , different brands for consistency research. What size shot would you reccomend for HD? I'm sure you've posted this before, I did a search and was inundated with info. and really couldn't find exact answers for what I was looking. Thank you, and any other contributors very much for your help. .....Whit

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Thanks for the compliments,Whit. I've had some really good people teach me stuff and I like to pay it forward.

First, an out of the box, absolutely stock 870 is a terrific close range weapon in trained hands. Possibly the best yet invented.

Practically all 12 gauge ammo is effective for HD.Close range wounds with #8 shot are called "Bloody ratholes" by forensic surgeons. At typical HD ranges, the load hits as a semi solid mass, oft still within the wad.

The old Fed database I can't access anymore had the shotgun doing oneshot stops 99%+,regardless of gauge or load. I doubt the stats have changed.

Which load to use(and slugs are hardly ever a good choice) is more a matter of neighborhood and proximity of non involved people than of terminal ballistics.

The best accessory for you right now is a flat or 6 of ammo. Get some cheap, 1 oz field loads in 8s or 7 1/2 size shot and hit the range.Shoot trap, skeet, sporting clays, steel plates, bowling pins or rats at the dump. Learn your weapon until it feels like a body part.

Then, you'll be able to choose just what addon and mods are good, and what are just Wallet Vacs.

Right now, get your stock fitting you, make sure whatever sights are on your 870 work for you, and the trigger's weight is less than say, 5 lbs. Most of that last are.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may still have,IF the Archives aren't giving you the answers...

Last edited:

Tim Whittaker

Thanks Dave, I'm going to do some more research . Thanks for the offer. Hopefully I will get to the Skeet Club, providing the SG gets here, on Thursday. Take care. .....Whit

CMichael

Overkill?

I know for HD I could use lifesavers and most likely kill the person.

However, it's kind of cool getting the most powerful shotshell I can. Now I have 3" 4 buck turkey load.

I know that I risk going through my neighbors wall.

What do you all think?

Michael

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Depends on how much you like your neighbor(G)...

It'll work, so will 9s.

A prob with heavy loads is a longer recovery time. Not much longer, but sometimes life hangs on millimeters and milliseconds, other times miles and hours. Can't decide which is which in advance.