Pad Vs. Plate

imp

A friend of mine bought a Russian M44 carbine in 7.62x54 (sure most of you are familiar with that particular firearm), but being of smaller stature was not comfortable with the recoil, and added one of those slip on butt pads. While we were out shooting, I shot his rifle with the pad, and then without, and I honestly prefer it without the recoil pad. It got me thinking that I prefer my marlin .30-30 to my uncles '94 that has an aftermarket pad on it. I think maybe I ride the recoil instead of absorbing it??? After all this thinking, not only does my head hurt, but I'm thinking about finding a butt plate for a couple of rifles now that have recoil pads. Am I alone in this thinking, or anyone else experienced this?

imp

Another quick thing to add...I'm not sure about the effectiveness of the slip on pads, especially if the fit is not that great, as was the case with the mosin. And the .30-30 comparison isnt exactly apples to apples either, since I'm pretty sure my marlin is a bit heavier of a rifle. Felt recoil is a subjective subject anyway, but it certainly did get me scratching my noodle.

Strafer Gott

How well the stock fits is a factor in recoil perception. If the pad creates a misfit, it might save your shoulder but kill your face. If the stock fits well,and you ride the recoil as intended by the stock design, you will have a much better experience. With a good stock, you can shoot 30-'06 all afternoon in a T-shirt. At one time their was an industry that prospered supplying aftermarket stocks to reto-fit a flood of Milsurp bolt actions. The Moisin Nagant could certainly benefit from a well fitted Rheinhart Fajen. I don't know if you could help a .45-70 guide gun or not.

AK103K

I hate recoil pads. Unfortunately these days, it seems "everything" comes with one. All most of them do, is make the LOP to long, and the gun not fit properly, especially if you shoot anywhere but a bench.

Luckily, Brownells still offers generic butt plates so you can fit your own. The makers dont.

I personally prefer the checkered steel type you used to find on most rifles back in the early part of the last century. Then again, back then, they came on stocks made more for actual use.

AK103K

LOP is one of my biggest beefs with the gun industry. I suppose its just a sign of the times, and how people use their guns and shoot these days.

tahunua001

for me it depends on the rifle. for hunting rifles I prefer the pad but for that feeling that you get when you shoot an old bolt action battle rifle there is nothing like the metal butt pad.

44 AMP

Staff
Rubber pads are less prone to slip than a steel buttplate, but it is stock fit that matters most. A few rounds from a Win 94 beats me to death, but a Remington 600 carbine in .308 is less punishment for me. Similar weight, a more powerful cartridge, but a better stock fit for me.

Most stocks, especially military ones, tend to be short, because its easier for a big guy to use a short stock than a small one use a stock with too long a length of pull. Also a pull that is right for shirtsleeves is too long to be perfect whenwearing a heavy coat.

What is the right fit for me is probably not right for you, and vice versa. But it is the fit (length of pull, drop at heel and comb, etc) that determines how much of the recoil we feel as uncomfortable "kick".

Muzzle blast also has an effect on what we "feel". A loud blast makes it seem to kick harder, at least for a lot of folks.