pacific dies?

UltimaSE

I've stumbled across some pacific durachrome dies, I'm wondering if anyone knows about these dies I've done some searches and I can't seem to find anything about these.

Also anyone know if they are steel or carbide?

Thanks in advance,
UltimaSE

Contender

Those dies you have there are Industrial Hard Chrome plated. Pacific was purchased by Hornady a number of years back and went by the name Hornady/Pacific. Now it is just Hornady, and Pacific Tool and Die is no more. Hornady has since gone to it's "New Dimension" line of redesigned loading dies.

The Durachrome dies are good quality but, can chip if handled roughly. If the insides are in good shape they should be fine.

Regards

i've got some i've had for years and if i put a little cleaner on them they look just like they did the day i got them. I was in a vacuum cleaner repair shop one day waiting to get waited on and this guy had bins of parts everywhere-i glanced in a bin and saw 3 or 4 223 sizing dies and another that was maybe a 45-70. i asked the guy what they were and he said he didn't know but i could have them. they turned out to be pascific chrome dies..Dick

Sorry to report but you must lube every rifle die-I've even got a dillon 223 in carbide and if you forget to lube the casing it will stick....A word about stuck cases...i've used an RCBS stuck case remover for years and it seems that most of the time when i use it that i tear up something-stuff like break the decapping pin or bend the stem-i've even shattered the carbide expander ball on some decapping rods. When purchasing your rifle dies there are a couple of things you may look for that may make life easier. Try to get a carbide expender ball. not really a must but it will do away with having to lube the inside of the neck. Try to get dies that have a vent hole drilled in the shoulder area-that will let excess lube out and will not cause dimples in the shoulder because the lube collected there. try to get dies that have a bolt head on the top of the decapping stem-that way should you have a stuck case, you can get a wrench and push the casing out with the decapping assembly. I know that dillon dies have all the above and Lee has some of the features mentioned but you may want to give them a call to confirm....sorry to be long winded but i hope this helps...Come to think of it the Pacific/Hornady dies may include the above but i did not check...Good luck Dick

UltimaSE

The dies in question are .357 dies actually, so not rifle. I was wondering if these are similar to carbide dies?

Thanks again,
UltimaSE

i suspect you will still use lube because carbide dies only have a small ring that contacts the casing so there's not a lot of bearing surface for the shell to stick to. my guess is that if you look in the dies in question you will see that they look just like regular dies and with all that bearing surface on the casing they may stick....get out the grease...Dick

Contender

Ultima,

Look at the inside of the sizing die and see if it contains the pressed in ring on the bottom.The ring will be noticably shinier than the die as a whole.

I have a set of 44mag Hornady/Pacific Dies with a Carbide sizer.

If the sizer isn't Carbide, do yourself a favor and get a seperate Carbide Sizer Die to speed up production.

FWIW

Regards