Pachmyer grips on 642

Yankee Doodle

Those of us that carry a 642 are fully aware that the recoil with a good +P S.D. load can be a bit snappy. As a matter of fact, it can be damned painful. I decided to try a set of Pachmayr Gripper grips with the covered back strap on it, and found them to be about as concealable as a bugle. The felt recoil was reduced, but concealed carry was a big problem.
The grip was too long, and printed like the New York Times. I came up with the following solution.
I used a belt sander with an 80 grit belt, and removed the bottom of the pinky grip so it is only 1/8 inch longer than the grip frame. Doing this exposed the steel liners in the grips, so I hit them with a bit of touch up cold blue. Two applications turned the steel almost dead black. I then returned to the belt machine, and carefully rounded off the butt to smooth out the shape to remove all the flat areas. I then applied a very light touch of wax to the sanded areas, which improved the appearance greatly. Grips now conceal much better, reduce the felt recoil, and look sort of half decent. No one will ever see them anyway. The only drawback seems to be that with the trousers I usually wear. they are still a bit too bulky for pocket carry. I will have to learn to live with that. Adjusted wardrobe is also an option if I really think it's needed.
Thought some of you might be interested.