P99 slide wear Question

eviltravis

I have a walther p99, (the older style). As you look at the slide from the bottom, on the extractor side of the slide there is a small portion of the slide machined out in the steel right above the frame rail groove. It looks like the trigger bar rides up and down in this groove as the slide moves back and forth. The trigger bar seems to have worn away at the slide a bit in the spot where it goes over the corner of this groove. I have two of these pistols, and this one is worn in the area described above, but the other is not. Does anyone here have one of these pistols that they've put a few rounds through? I'd like to know if anyone else has the same wear on their pistol, and if you think this is normal. The pistol functions flawlessly, so I'm not sure if I'm looking for trouble where there isn't any.
Thanks.

E.T.

As far as I can understand, you described "some wear" in way of the slide recess (the out of battery safety feature) or trigger bar cam. Was the "wear" present when the gun was new or did you notice it recently ? IMHO the wear is some polishing / adjusting done by the factory gunsmith in order to obtain proper fit and functioning. Anyhow, that's what I believe is present on my P99 AS (manufacturing code KI). I put a substantial amount of ammo through it and did not notice any wear or change in appearance of the parts.

:)

eviltravis

p99 wear

The wear was not present when I bought the gun, It' something that developed as the round count on the pistol went up. It doesn't look like the factory removed the material, I can see where the edge of the metal has rolled over the side of the little ledge there. It's enough to hang a fingernail on if you scratch at it.

k_dawg

I have ~~5k rounds thru my P99 "Titanium", and do not see any wear as you describe.

I would have it checked out.

eviltravis

I sent an e-mail to walther about the wear. They wrote me back and said that it's normal. I guess I'll just bang away till it busts.