P99 owners

Chris_B

So. Tell me all about them. I like Walthers, and I'm interested in a P99 in 9mm parabellum. I love my other two Walther designs, my '44 P.38 and that damn little P22. I have a friend who has a full size P99 and I quite like it's feel and sights.

I also am interested in the P226 but my gut says "Walther". Later on I'll ask folks to sell me on a P226 but right now I'd like to hear about the P99

I own several handguns: a P.38 (9mm), an M1911A1 (.45) a Model of 1903 (.32), a repro Colt 1862 (.36) and the P22 (.22). Of them all, only the Colt 1903 made in 1920 has been 100% reliable. Go figure. I would love for Colt to make a 2nd gen Model of 1903!

One of the reasons I bought the P22 was it would be the only design I owned that was from after the 1930s! It also has some ergonomics reminiscent of the P99. I am not however interested in a PK380. I would like a modern handgun in a non-rimfire caliber, and I feel 9mm parabellum suits my wants the best. Concealed carry is not possible for me right now due to stupid unconstitutional laws in Boston. That does not mean I will live here forever, and that does not mean I will never carry the P99 potentially, in the future

So let's hear the P99 stories and insights :)

dpetreikis

A few years ago, I worked security for a steelmaker in Indiana. We originally were issued S&W .38s... either stainless or blued, some heavy barrel and some thin barreled. Those guns were old... had been around the block and then some, and they shot sweet. Smooth from age.

Sometime around 1999 or 2000, we got rid of the old revolvers and transitioned to Walther P990s (basically P99s, double action only and in 40 cal). I was personally glad to upgrade to .40, but I was not a fan of the Walthers. I don't recall very many jams or FTF's, but I do recall one kaboom (with standard pressure factory ammo), the standard plastic adjustable sights didn't seem to holdup very well and tended to drift and the magazines seemed weak and would fall apart when dropped during quick reloads. They do feel good in the hand, though.

ZEBRARANGER

Here's a link posted just a couple hours ago about the P99. I made some comments about the P99 here http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377465. Just to keep it short, I have a 2001 first generation P99 .40 S&W with many thousands of rounds down range over the years. Its the one semi auto i dont think I'll ever get rid of. They did have an issue with mags not functioning correctly way back in the beginning. They had the orange followers, but quicky corrected it and sent anyone with those mags (me being one of them) the new blue followers at no charge, problem resolved. I have several old and several newer mags that have hit the ground a few times and never had any come apart, including the originals. As far as kabooms, never heard of or seen any issues with the P99. It has the best ergonomics of any handgun I've ever owned, and I currently own 17. The AS trigger on mine is buttery smooth and breaks crisp & clean, its only gotten better over the years. Its a gun that dont need any advertising, Its probably been one of the best kept secrets of the polymer world. Here's an original photo, still with the orange followers and a more recent pic still looking good.
p9940016-Copy.jpg

DSC06827-1.jpg

Last edited:

rsxr22

Chris B

You are considering 2 really good pistols in the P99 and 226. They are very different designs and neither one nor the other is better. Sig is exellence in the steel frame market, and Walther is up their with HK on the polymer side. I think if i had to chose between these 2 the 226 would have the sleight edge mainly because of its function; from what you said, i understand that this gun will function as a SD/HD/Range weapon. And because of the difference in weight of the 2, you will get better accuracy because of less perceived felt recoil from the Sig.
The Sig and Walther both have excellent triggers out of the box and are both extremely reliable. They are both also extremely more accurate than you or i am. To some the walther is more ergonomic, but Sigs control are well placed and there are a vast amount of after-market accessories available.

Both guns are extremely amazing weapons and you will not go wrong either way, i just feel that the Sig has a sleight advantage over the walther

pilpens

I have a P99 DA/SA 9mm. Of the full sized polymers (HK USP DA/SA 9mm, S&W M&P 9mm) I have shot, I like it the most.
Grip feel: M&P over the P99 but not by much - had to trim the largest backstrap.
Trigger DA: P99
Trigger SA: P99
Felt recoil: M&P - the P99 seems to flip up more than the other two.
Size: P99. USP is huge for a 9mm.
Decocker - I like USP's better but not a big thing.
Accuracy: P99, USP
Mag release: Once I got used to the lever, I like it better.
Overall: P99 easy.
If I had to sell all my 9mm pistols, I would sell in the following order: S&W M&P, HK USP, Sig P6, Walther P99, Kimber 1911.
If I can have only one pistol and It had to be a 9mm - Walther P99.
I would not like the P99 in .40 or .45 - too much recoil for me.
I carry the Sig P6 the most and Walther P99 sometimes.

Last edited:

sigbear

Walther P99 @ Walther 226

Chris B, I have both a Sig. 226 and Walther P99 @ P99 C (compact).

I use them all of the time but for different applications. The 226 in 9mm is my range gun, its nice and heavy with minimal recoil and good quick follow up shots. I carry my P99C almost daily and sometimes with the 16 round mag with extender.

I bought the full size P99 only because I liked the compact version so much.

Of all the semi auto's that I had in the last 10 years the Sig. 226 and Walther P99 are both keepers, if there are better guns out there I haven't shot them yet. The 226 and P99 are tough to beat for accuracy and reliability.

I live outside of Boston, so, if you want to e-mail me with any questions please feel free to reply to this post with your e-mail and I will reply.

Good luck Chris,

Sig P220, .45
Sig 226, 9mm
Walther P99, 9mm
Walther P99c, 9mm
Ruger Sp101, .357
Ruger Security six, .357

Sigbear

ddrrobi