p97

edteach

I just bought a p97 and the slide stop pin keeps poping out when shooting. I ran 50 rounds through it and it came out 2 times. I has to shoot with one finger on the slide stop. I am left handed so not a huge problem. But it is a designe flaw. Does Ruger do anything to fix this problem?

rantingredneck

It's not designed to do that. If it's happening something is wrong with the gun.

Try this: push the pin out when the gun is in battery, if it moves when the gun is in battery then either the slide has a defect or the takedown lever has a defect. The defect could be a manufacturing defect or it could be damage from the previous owner. Since you say you just bought it I'm assuming it was used as Ruger hasn't made P97's since 2004 or so.

The slide should absolutely keep the takedown lever in place unless you line up the notch in the slide with the hook in the takedown lever.

Unless.........

Where is your support hand when you are firing. If it's pushing in on the opposite side of the slidestop pin at the right time during the action's cycle then it would push out the takedown/slidestop pin.

Dabull

My P95 does that when I use Pro Mag aftermarket mags. Something about the follower knocking the pin out from the inside.

edteach

I bought it from a friend. Who bought it new. He gave me the original box he bought with the gun which had 10 rounds out of it. So it is new. Ruger just sent me an email saying that they would replace the slide stop pin and springs. There must be some sort of problem or they would not do that, would they?

rantingredneck

Cool, Ruger will fix their
manufacturing defect
because something is
wrong with the gun

:D.

Congrats on a fine pistol. Have one myself. I'm sure Ruger will take care of you. They replaced an entire slide assembly (including new barrel) on a P90 I was having light strike problems with. Their turnaround time right now for repairs is running about 5 weeks though. Be patient.

cavediver27

The P97 is a fantastic pistol, I should know because I have one. I'm sure a call to Ruger will get you all fixed up.

Calhoun123

Yes, this is a P97 design flaw. Ruger replaces the cam block IIRC when people experience this problem. Some say it fixes the problem, others continue to have problems. The p97 was not one of Ruger's better products.

tech4061

Mine was made in 2004. I never had a problem with it. Just give Ruger a call, I'm sure they will take care of it.