P938 review....break-in and range results. Outstanding!

Mystro

I picked up my new P938 "Sport" from my LGS. This is a P938 from the Sig custom shop where they took options from other guns and put it all together on one. Think "Nightmare, Equinox, and Rubber Grip" in one model. This includes the excellent TFO night sights. These are made out of steel now and are very solid. I have these on a P229 and love them. I highly recommend them. Silver hardware on black Nitron with Hogue rubber grips. The gun comes with 2 magazines 6+1 and 7+1. It also comes with a Sig holster.

BoxP938.jpg

After taking inventory and checking its 04/17/2013 birth date, I took the grips off and cleaned and Frog Lubed the entire gun. After heating the parts up and burning myself with the heat gun, I generously applied the Frog Lube and let it sit for 45 minutes. I could instantly tell the Frog Lube worked its magic.

P938stripped.jpg

After wiping off the Frog Lube, I head out to my range with a 150 rounds of WWB and S£B 115 FMJ. I also took out my favorite personal protection rounds, Critical Duty 135 +P and Golden Saber 124 +p.
The magazines were stiff to load. The trigger was very good and broke clean and crisp with a very short reset. I am old school 1911 so this gun is perfect for me.
Range2P938.jpg

It was raining today in Central Pa but that wasn't gonna stop me so I shot in the rain.
Not one issue to report. All ammo ran flawless and ejected right where I would want it to. Recoil was minimal compared to other lightweight guns I shoot.
Accuracy is outstanding.....Who every points their finger at the P938 for being hard to shoot accurately needs to point their finger at the shooter behind the gun.
My first 7 shots at 10 yards would have been good for a full size service gun. My groups only got better as I shot further into the ammo. I found the longer 7 round mag a bit more accurate in my hands but the 6+1 left my pinky dangle but accuracy was still good only ever so slightly left. I did some tactical reloads. The magazines shot out of the gun like a proper 1911 IDPA gun should. Double taps and rapid fire was easy with the single action trigger.

RangeP938.jpg

I would have no problem shooting a IDPA match with the P938. My personal protection +p loads ran flawlessly. The 135+P Critical Duty had less recoil and were exceptionally accurate. ( I am talking 7 rounds in the size of a 50 cent piece.) The Golden Saber 124+p were very accurate but the CD 135 had less felt recoil so that's what I will use. I am sure all my top brand rounds will be more than accurate enough simply because my P938 didn't seem to be picky at all what it was shooting. Even point of impact was dead on to all my other P229's.

Holster size was easy. It fits the same size as my S&W Bodyguard 380. That means a Uncle Mikes size 2 pocket holster fits perfectly. The safety can be engaged when racking the slide. Its a nice touch. The rubber grips were nice but a bit chubby for a pocket pistol duty so I called Jon at High Figure Grips and ordered a very special set of grips. Jon is a heck of a nice guy and his grips are probably the best you can buy. I can't recommend him enough. I sweated over which grips to buy on his web site for a week. They all look outstanding. A gun this nice deserves some quality custom grips. highfiguregrips.com - Sig P938
With 7 +1 of Critical Duty 135+p, I feel well armed enough to use the P938 as a full time CCW. Its small, light at 16oz, accurate, and feeds everything. I don't really feel like I am shooting a pint size pocket pistol. To me it feels like a compact 1911 and that's the point.

My new Sig P938 ran like,...... well,..... a Sig.

More to come...........

Last edited:

Mystro

The P938 is almost the same size as the P238 except it shoots the 9mm.

A observation I forgot to mention above:
I spent ALOT of time fondling other pocket pistols. I already own a Bodyguard 380 and shoot it very well but if I can get a high quality 9mm in about the same size that is all metal and comes with night sights, I am gonna do it. This is where I feel the P938 is a standout among all other guns its size. Its as small as most of the 380's but you feel like you are shooting a real full size gun.

The Kahr PM9 was its closest competition but the Sig had much better sights, came with night sights as standard, and had a better trigger that resets much shorter. Quality of the Kahr was so so with rough machining marks on the underside of the slide. Kinda poor quality for a gun at this price range. The PM9 also felt too blocky. Weight between the two are about identical. The quality of Sig is also superior and it is obvious handling the competition. Sig has a real winner with the P938 and a class leader in the 9mm caliber.

When other companies are building hamburgers for the masses, Sig stayed true to their quality and design and stayed upscale with not cutting corners. This is the EDC/CCW gun for the gun guys that appreciate quality.
The P938 is more for a experienced shooter IMO. Its not the best gun for a novice. Any light weight pocket pistol is tough for a novice to shoot well. If you like what Sig Sauer is all about or have a full size Sig, you need to own the cutting edge P938. It will spoil you. Think "Rolex pocket pistol"

Last edited:

kjd2121

I wonder why the front sight is so long. Wouldn't it be better if the dot was right at the groove instead of 1/2" back?

Nice gun BTW.

Oh nevermind I see that is a fiber optic. I think I would rather have a Trijicon on front.

Mystro

Its a tritium fiber optic front sight. It does everything well and is a outstanding sight. I have it on a P229. Its ridiculously bright in any light.

Last edited:

Garycw

Thanks Mystro, but how does the 938 differ from the P239?
I understand about the p238 since I have one and think its a great IWB pistol.

Mystro

The P938 is about the same size as the P238 but it is in 9mm and can shoot +p ammo. The gun was redesigned for the 9mm but you wouldn't be able to tell on the outside compared to the P238. A 16oz all metal 9mm that small is very impressive firepower. In fact it fits in the same size holster as the Kahr PM380.:eek:

Hickock45 really likes it and he is a striker fire gun guy.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Js4acN46k

hand.jpg

Last edited:

Garycw

The P938 is about the same size as the P238 but it is in 9mm and can shoot +p ammo. The gun was redesigned for the 9mm but you wouldn't be able to tell on the outside compared to the P238. A 16oz all metal 9mm that small is very impressive firepower. In fact it fits in the same size holster as the Kahr PM380.:eek:

Hickock45 really likes it and he is a striker fire gun guy.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Js4acN46k

hand.jpg

So you're saying the P 238 and the P239 are the same??? ..or
Are you saying the P239 and the P938 are the same?

I know what the p238 is.
I wanted to know the difference between the : 239 and the 938

redhologram

Great pics and reporting.
I have both the p238 and p938 (got one, couple of days later I had to have the other).:)
They are very similar in size but different enough that my p938 will not fit in my Crossbreed holster for my .380. I have started carrying them both in Remora IWB holsters and have to have a different size for each.
They are great guns and with all the rounds I feed through mine on a constant basis, I have no complaints with either gun.
I love the comparison you did with the p229!!!

kcub

I wish they had corrected the design flaw common with the P238 and Colt Mustang; that being the extractor sticking up (see 2nd picture above) and being easy to get out of position and an utter PITA to correct. That keeps me from already owning the equinox version of this otherwise fine pocket pistol. I'll stick with my Kimber Solo Carry for the pocket 9 role.

Mystro

The extractor is a non issue. Only when putting the gun back together after field stripping it is it something you push down to put the slide on. Its the same idea as lining up the barrel linkage before sliding the slide stop pin through on a 1911. You do it once and after that its easy. Its no big deal.

hardhat harry

"I wish they had corrected the design flaw common with the P238 and Colt Mustang; that being the extractor sticking up (see 2nd picture above) and being easy to get out of position and an utter PITA to correct. That keeps me from already owning the equinox version of this otherwise fine pocket pistol. I'll stick with my Kimber Solo Carry for the pocket 9 role."

That ain't the extractor, the extractor is in the slide. I think you are referring to the ejector, but I could be wrong. I have a 238 and never got either out of position.

Mystro

How do you make a perfect gun even better?...... You dress it up with a set of custom grips made out of Charcoal Box Elder Burl from High Figure Grips.......

P938net.jpg

Fit and finish is outstanding. The tolerances are absolutely perfect. My safety is much easier to activate without the Hogue rubber grips. The gun also rides thinner and is easier to pull out of my pocket. I much perfer the feel of this over the rubber grips.

reargripnet.jpg

Bottomgripnet.jpg

James Bond's gun should look so good........
POSignet.jpg

GripsP938net.jpg

Garycw

Those are some cool looking grips and with that reddish strip in the front too. Very Sharp!!that's a good point about the rubber houge grips with IWB

Last edited: