P7M8 Leather?

BloodyThumb

Had a PSP years ago. Sold it, and regretted it. Just picked up a P7M8. Any "first hand" experience out there with current leather for it? Who is currently making good leather for this somewhat "top heavy when holstered" model?

Thanks in advance.

BT

:confused:

H46Driver

Currently using a Wild Bill's concealment holster that I picked up a a gunshow not too far back. Your belt has to be fairly tight because of the P7's balance, but it carries fairly well and is also a fairly inconspicuous tuckable. Just a 1" wide metal clip over the belt.

PeacefulWarrior

Do a search on selfdefenseforums.com under the firearms section a while back I posted about a holster the was IWB but made specifically or the P-7 and it's top-heaviness. The holster included extra leather around the gun to stablize the holster in the waistband. I can't remember who made the holster but included it in a post to someone asking the same question. Hope that helps.

BloodyThumb

"I never knew the P7 was top heavy til I read this thread, by the way..."

Only when holstered from my experience with the PSP anyway. In a traditional holster the only thing in the holster is roughly from the rearward most of trigger guard to the end of the barrel. The way the P7 is designed that means that 25% or so of the weight is in the holster and the rest is above the belt. Most auto holsters place the rig very high on the belt. On the P7 / PSP, for me anyway, that always caused it to ride VERY high and tend to feel and ride as if very top heavy... feeling as if it was only partially in the holster.

I am told this was made worse in my case as my chest is about 16 inches bigger around than my waist, so the butt of the gun wants to "tip out".

A rig designed for.... say... a 1911.... and then built for the P7/PSP, just never felt right for me. I am now told that there are some custom builders that have addressed just this situation. That is what I seek! Many thanks to you folks for the responses so far. I will check them out, and I am still open for any other input!

BT

Gary H

http://www.delfatti.com/

Matt made me an IWB holster, mag holders and belt. Very good quality and holds a P7M8, or P7M13 firmly against the back. He also made a great holster for my wife. She is very small and wanted to carry a M66, 4". He really put time into the design. Have a pic of her holster.

Attachments

• ssr-k female-email.jpg
    ssr-k female-email.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 123

gromit555

Carried my P7M13 in a Milt Sparks Executive Companion IWB holster. Never really thought of it as top heavy. Just had some heft to it, like a nice big Mercedes. :) I'm only 5'6", 130 lbs, 30" waist. Never had a problem concealing it under just an untucked t-shirt.

BTW, holster's for sale if anyone wants it...black, 1.5" belt loops, stamped P7M13 but should work with the M8, still nice and stiff...$65 shipped.

garrettwc

Check the Cult of the P7 here:

Park Cities Tactical

Everything you ever wanted to know about the P7 but were afraid to ask :)

The general consensus over there is DelFatti, Alessi, Sparks in leather. Comp Tac or KyTac in kydex.

9mmepiphany

i was confused by "top heavy when holstered" too, because i always thought of it as "butt heavy".

now i realise that holstering it would put the butt... at the top :rolleyes:

the important thing about a holster for the p7 family is that the COM be aligned with the centerline of the holster pocket and that the weight be spread out over the base/anchor points of the holster to the belt...keeps it from flopping about

my personal favorite is the alessi CQC/s

Jay C

I know that you said leather, but if you ever thought about Kydex, Comp Tac is the way to go. I carry mine in the Gukura daily and love it

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Ross Leather out of South Africa makes a very reasonably priced forward-canted (a little steeper than the FBI Tilt) pancake rig. I've really fallen in love with mine.

BloodyThumb

Many thanks for all the replies. I decided to go with Mr. DelFatti. I have admired his work for a while, but not owned any. I spoke with him yesterday and ordered two holsters and a mag pouch. Again, thanks for the imput!

BT