P7 PSP v. P7M8 magazine release

Murdock

I have experience with the PSP, but none with the M8. Has anyone had trouble with the M8's magazine release being tripped unexpectedly (e.g.; by clothing or other contact while holstered)? It looks like it could get brushed kinda easy. I'm starting to want another P7 real bad but have wondered about this.

Wildalaska

I have experience with the PSP, but none with the M8. Has anyone had trouble with the M8's magazine release being tripped unexpectedly (e.g.; by clothing or other contact while holstered)? It looks like it could get brushed kinda easy. I'm starting to want another P7 real bad but have wondered about this.

You have no idea of how many P7 M8 mags I found on the front seat of my car when I carried one:)

WildgetapspAlaska ™

IMTHDUKE

You have no idea of how many P7 M8 mags I found on the front seat of my car when I carried one

That's where I get all my extra mags from....their cheap.

Why I carry a PSP and use M8 for table gun.

Peter M. Eick

I knew there had to be a reason I bought only PSP's.

Seriously though, I never had one of my PSP's eject a mag. I did not realize that was an M8 issue. I would not want to lose a PSP mag, those things are expensive!

p7_collection.jpg

By the way, I had all 3 out yesterday and realized I need to reshoot the picture. I now have about 42 mags, but I think I may have miscounted and have 43. Too much work to sort it out and count them again.

AK103K

To be fair, the problem for me was lack of a good holster, as there were only a couple available for the gun at the time I had mine. I would hope the holster makers have since learned of the problem and addressed it. If the holster protects the mag release, it shouldnt be an issue.

The P7s are great pistols and mine was the most accurate pistol I've ever owned or used. The only downside is, you pretty much have to dedicate yourself to the platform to carry it, due to its manual of arms.

Price these days, like most anything HK, is way out of line too. I only paid $450 for mine new and spare mags were $25 at the time. I sold mine a few years later for $975 and mags were going for $125 then.

SAWBONES

As a longtime owner-shooter-carrier of P7s, I would observe that only the P7M8 and P7M13 models of 9mm P7s permit the fastest-possible reload and return to action, what HK used to like to call their "Continuous Motion Principle" in older advertisements.

As to inadvertant mag-dropping with the M8/M13 models, I'd suggest first getting a good holster that protects the ambidextrous mag release levers from accidental activation, or failing that to perhaps install a stronger mag lever spring.
I've employed the first approach with success for decades, and never needed the second.

Geohans

Carrying M8s since 1987, whenever it was legal, in 5 states. Several thousand days of carry, with not one premature ejeculation. 3 different but high quality holsters; currently Garrity.

M13s are problematic, according to a friend.

M8s are indeed set up to take advantage of the M8's slide release squeeze.

AK103K

I never found the M13 to be problematic. Mine was very reliable and never had any problems. They all can release the slide with the cocker. If anything, the M13 has an advantage for a reload, as the mag well is wide, and the top of the mag tapers to narrow. Its grip is a tad wide for some, but I never found it to be an issue, and I dont have large hands.