P7 PSP dilemma!!!! HELP!

jawper

All,

Here's the problem. Just looking around the case of a local shop. Noticed a P7 in the case that didn't seem to have a grind mark on the slide. Asked to see it just out of curiosity. Guy behind the counter picks it up, pulls back on the slid, looks in the chamber, and hands it to me. I look down in the chamber and thumb the mag release and nothing happens. A bit befuddled, I look down. There ISN'T any mag release. Brain starts turning and I look at the slide more closely. As you probably figured, it turns out that it's a PSP. NIB with the standard stuff (three dot sights, etc.). The asking price was $945 (extra mags were $55). This seemed rather cheap to me. I must admit that I could tell the difference in feel compared to my beloved P7M8. This pistol was NICE!

So . . . the short version is this. Before I commit a bunch of $$$$ to the purchase as well as a couple of new holsters, the carry ammo search/testing, night sight purchase and installation, etc., etc. I need some input. I know there are a few of you who own both the P7M8 and the PSP. Please tell me which you prefer for carry and why. Also, required mods aside from night sights? Does the price of the gun seem reasonable? What about the mags (it's taken a bunch of effort to dig up my 8 P7M8 mags and I'd just assume buy PSP mags from this guy if I buy the gun). I'd really value some thoughts from those who have been there and done this.

Thanks in advance.

------------------
Best,
- Jawper

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. The price seems a tad high to me, but it depends on how much you want a PSP. One can make more money, but finding another can be difficult, especially since many now seen have the grind mark you mention. I have an old PSP and it's never malfunctioned with either standard or Plus P ammunition as well as stiff handloads. The sights are regulated perfectly from the factory for my eye. I think these are fine little handguns. Best.

VictorLouis

I don't know why there would be a grind mark there. Are there refurbs of the PSP out there, like the M8s?
Anyway, that's definitely the one that I would like to pick up again, though it does seem a tad bit high. If it has the large mag release, contoured with the heel of the grip, it's a winner.
If you depress and hold the release for just a second, the mags jettison out with authority rivaling the M8. All in all, I just feel it is a trimmer, more svelte pistol than its M8 cousin.
Get it NOW. :)

jtduncan

Most people in the state tend to like the M8 version.

Most HKP7 enthusiast prefer the PSP for daily IWB carry due to its heel relase. The scallop style thumb mag relases have dumped some mags here in there.

Sold my M8 and carry my PSP daily. Thinner, shorter in length and height, lighter, and better designed mag release. Better for people with smaller to medium sized hands due to thte smaller trigger guard.

It is the first P7. But I'd go for a $879 price since the refurbs can still be found for $700ish.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter - TFL/GT/UGW/PCT/KTOG

Incursion

I just put a number of rounds through a PSP and a M8, and I liked the M8 better. I didn't really think the PSP was thinner or shorter. The PSP heats up faster than the M8 because it does not have a heat shield.

jawper

I did it!!!

Closed my eyes and handed over the credit card for the NIB P7 PSP which I solicited opinions on a little while back. I'll pick it up tomorrow afternoon from a location outside the city (avoids a "licensing fee" charged by the city which is a nuisance).

It's beautiful! Such great lines and balance. And nothing at all that protrudes to catch on anything. I cannot wait to shoot it.

I brought the manual home with me. Basically sounds like the care and feeding is identical to my P7M8. Any experienced PSP hands who can point out nuances, please feel free to comment. I would value the input.

Also, where should I go to find magazines? Had to politely tell the guy in the shop that the P7M8 mags would not fit (he still had to try). Another guy at another shop checked for me the other day and told me that the cost to the dealer for the PSP mags was IDENTICAL to the cost for the M8s. Thus if shop X is willing to sell M8 mags for $45, they should be able to sell the PSPs for the same (that doesn't mean they have to). I can order the mags through HK but that takes forever. If anybody knows someone with these in stock, I'd be very interested.

Any advice/comments welcome and appreciated.

VERY excited.

------------------
Best,
- Jawper

jimmy

jawper--I don't know much about P7s. But, unfortunately, I do have quite a bit of experience of not buying a gun because it was too high, and then kicking myself later when I was unable to find another one.

So, if your PSP is as good as it looks, and if you really wanted it, then buying it was the right choice.

Congrats! :)

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
Good Job!
You came over to the Dark Side much easier than I did.
That PSP would have HAUNTED you for MONTHS.

The Detonics .45 I just got (LOVE THE THING) haunted me for a YEAR.
The shop that had it musta been holding onto it for me... I was hoping it would get sold off then I could stop sweating it.
I finally said AwHEll and went and cashed it out. My wallet was thinner - but I was finally able to get a good nights sleep knowing it was safe and snug under my pillow.
Getting that PSP as fast as you did saved you a lot of trouble!

Tecolote

Congratulations. I keep telling myself that next year I'll get a P7M8. You did right by getting what you wanted.

Check with www.cdnninvestments.com They carry lots of different mags. They're very helpful, so even if they don't have what you want they might point you in the right direction.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

wishbone

You did great.A few years ago I found a P7M8 that I had been dreaming about for a long time.I've never had a moments regret.Enjoy your new masterpiece of gun engineering. :cool:

jawper

All,

Many thanks for your advice and kind words.

jimmy,
Thanks. You describe very well the regret I was trying to avoid.

George Hill,
You're right. It was already starting to cost me sleep. I know you're happier with your thin wallet and your Dectonics and I hope to be the same with my PSP when I get it home.

Tecolote,
Thanks for the tip. They did not have the mags but were very helpful and I'm now on the e-mail wish list when they find some. You should give in to the P7M8 urge. I got mine (a refurb) almost a year ago and I cannot tell you how much enjoyment I have gotten out of it.

wishbone,
Agree with every word. Thanks.

Now on to the range!!!!

------------------
Best,
- Jawper

Peter M. Eick

I recently picked up a PSP NIB for a bit more then you did, so you got a better deal. I considered a refurbed P7M8, but liked the PSP better in my hand.

Congradulations on the new buy, I sure love mine, but I wish I could crank out 9mm reloads faster!

------------------
P229 Sport and 357 SIG, H&K P7PSP and 9MM, Dual Perfection!!