P64 vs. CZ70

cjkoz1975

I am looking to buy one of these guns. I love the look and feel of both. I know the obvious caliber difference so that need not be part of this information search. I am looking for input on reliability, shoot ability, and overall quality of these two weapons. I have read a lot about slide bite on the p64. I have never experienced this with anything else, but have never shot anything like the p64 before. Also finding one of these guns doesn't appear to be the easiest thing to do either so if anyone has advice on that I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you all in advance for your input.

Mrgunsngear

Here's a review I posted here a few months ago:

The P64 is a DA/SA blowback pistol that appears to be (because it is) very similar to Walther's PPK. The designers of the pistol deny that it's a PPK clone and insisted it is an original design---sure...

In my opinion, the fact that it's very similar to the PPK is a good thing in my opinion, the PPK is a quality pistol as is the P64. It's been 100% reliable since I've picked it up and for $189 it's tough to complain.

The 9x18 Makarov round could have a post of its' own, and it's often debated whether one using the round should carry JHP rounds or FMJ to increase penetration. I'll leave that debate to another day but I chrono'd some common loads in the video. For what it's worth, I spoke with Kevin Underwood two weeks ago of www.underwoodammo.com and he told me that he was currently developing some 9x18 defensive loads. When they come out, they'll probably be my carry load for this handgun (pending performance testing of course) since he has a reputation of producing good affordable defensive ammo.

Pros:
Cost--$189 for a gun of this quality is tough to complain about
100% reliability thus far.
All steel construction, seems like it will be very durable
Replacement parts, should you need them, are very inexpensive
The single action trigger is excellent
Fires an affordable round ($10/50 on most internet sites).
Carries and conceals easily
Gun appears to be in excellent shape for a surplus weapon

Cons:
Heavy (22oz) for a carry gun by modern standards
Blowback design is inherently a dirty firing design
Many shooters experience slide bite (I only noticed some abrasion after about 100 rounds, and I have large hands)
Sights are miniscule, but usable
The OEM hammer spring causes the worst DA pull I've ever experienced (easily replaceable for about $5)
Some people claim the recoil is stout, but I think it's on par with most modern pocket/slim 9mm type guns.

Here's a quick video with some shooting, disassembly/assembly, and chronograph tests.

P64 Review Video

Doyle

I've carried a P64 for about 5 years now. I've never experienced slide bite and my hands are pretty normal sized. It does have a bit of a recoil snap but that's no biggie. The factory DA trigger pull is horrendous but most people opt for the simple aftermarket spring that tames it nicely. The only thing I don't like about it is that being an all-steel frame it is quite a bit heavier than the modern production pistols of the same size.

carguychris

Be aware that the supply of CZ 70 pistols in the USA seems to outnumber the supply of magazines for same. If you are looking at online ads, be sure to read the descriptions carefully. Many are sold WITHOUT a mag.

Aftermarket mags are available for ~$40 but an online search reveals that most sellers seem to be out of stock.

Consider yourself warned.

cjkoz1975

So as far as I can tell both guns are made very well. Is this true, or is there problems with one more so than the other? I like the looks of the p64 better, but the cz doesn't bother me either. Of course a magazine shortage could be a big problem.

Olympus

The P-64 is a solid gun. Accuracy is incredible. I own one and I've never had a slide bite. The DA trigger pull is very heavy, but with a spring replacement it can get better and this makes the SA pull very nice. I used mine as a carry gun for several years. I highly recommend them for an inexpenisve, reliable gun.

armoredman

Had two CZ 70 pistols. First, they are NOT connected to the current CZUB company at all, commmunist era guns. .32ACP ain't much of a slug, but it beats harsh language.
Pros, lots of features you don't find on cheap guns, 1911 style mag release, loaded chamber indicator, decocker/safety. Mine were reliable and reasonably accurate for little pocket guns.
Con, HUGE con - the trigger pull has be tried to be believed. It's long and hard. Makarov.com used to have a kit that would fix that, but that place went bye bye years ago, no idea if anyone else will do the work.
I really liked mine, good pistol, just took some time to get used to the trigger.

Doyle

Where do you get replacement parts for the P-64?

There is no "factory support". However, there is a fairly large quantity of parts floating around. Pretty much any part you would need is available on either Gunbroker or Ebay.

The big importers like J&B, Tennesee Arms, etc. that brought them in tended to sell only the guns that checked out as working. The ones that were not saleable were stripped for parts.

cjkoz1975

Is there any significance to the year that the gun was made or are they all as reliable and durable as everyone is making them out to be. I just want a small pocket style pistol that can take some abuse and doesn't need to be babied which this gun seems to fit quite nice. Now I just have to find a good one somewhere. It seems all the surplus websites that had them are out right now. I don't know how often or when they get them in.

Exastly

I personally don't need any parts. Just thinking about picking up a P-64, and I was just wondering if there was a known source for parts.

That question always weighs in my mind when I consider buying any firearm that is not currently sold commercially in the U.S.

Cheapshooter

I have the earlier, but almost identical CZ 50, and a P-64. Both equally good buns. the as-is DA trigger pull of the CZ is much lighter than the very strong pull of the p-64. However the SA trigger pull on the P-64 is extremely light, almost too much so. The heavy DA pull can be improved with a new spring from Wolff Gunsprings. http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=1&mID=49 It is an easy mod to make, and doesn't lighten the already very light SA pull.
If HD, or CCW is your primary intended use I would go with the P-64. Mostly because of the somewhat improved ballistics of the round, and availability of less expensive practice ammo..

Doyle

Yes, parts for a P-64 are rarely needed and are available. As to years of production - they are all dependable regardless of the year. There was a design change along the way that makes one more desirable than the other though if you intend to pocket carry. Somewhere along about '72 or so they changed the shape of the hammer. I can't remember which is which but one version has a normally shaped hammer spur and the other has a smaller triangular shapped hammer spur. If you want to pocket carry, the one with the smaller hammer has less chance of hanging up.

Also, most of the ones imported have a thumb-rest left side grip panel. Nice for shooting (only if you are right handed)but it sticks out if you like to pocket carry. There is a flat left side panel that you can usually find to replace it if you want.

Mrgunsngear

I personally don't need any parts. Just thinking about picking up a P-64, and I was just wondering if there was a known source for parts.

If you need parts, check out This Site, they have a marketplace where people from all over the world (including Poland where parts are everywhere) sell parts.

raftman

I know you mentioned you're aware of the caliber difference (that is, you don't wanna be lectured on 9x18 Makarov being more potent than .32acp), but it's important to keep in mind that 9x18 ammunition is also generally a lot affordable than .32acp. I've had both the CZ70 and a P64 (and a number of other 9x18's) and found that I shot the 9x18's more simply because the ammo was cheaper.

On the flip side, the P64 has rather nasty recoil and isn't comfortable to shoot much whereas the weaker CZ70 is quite mild.

Aside from that, both are durable, reliable, accurate, well-made handguns.

torpeau

I like my P64s and they all have original springs since I never shoot them DA. That stiff DA trigger pull is kind of like a safety.