P365 Magazine Finish: Changes?

TunnelRat

Hi all,
I have just over 2,000 rd through my P365XL now and I wanted to pick up some more magazines. The original magazines have held up well. I have five magazines and they have a black finish that has almost an orange peel appearance.

I ordered two magazines from Academy Sports and they arrived today. In the pictures the middle magazine and the larger magazine are the new ones, with an example of the older magazines being the last one.

The larger magazine has almost a blued finish, without the orange peek appearance of the old. The new magazine in the middle has almost what seems like a phosphate finish that frankly looks poor (out of the box there are already some marks and I haven’t inserted the magazine yet).

I generally don’t care about cosmetics. The last time I’ve seen variation on magazine finishes like this is in the Korean M1 Carbine magazines I have that were imported at different times. The blued finish doesn’t bother me, the brownish phosphate finish kind of does. It doesn’t seem like it will hold up that well.

Has anyone seen this with other SIG Sauer magazines? In literally dozens of pistols I haven’t seen this much variation in finish in magazines that came from a single manufacturer.

Thanks,
TR
7f8a73624f60f7ae2c87af400a19df3b.jpg

20510a491609b74210c932d45f5b87cf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmhyer

I have had my p365XL for about 4 months. I have the original mags and couple of extra that I purchased at the same time I purchased the pistol. All of my mags have a finish like the 15-rounder shown in you pictures.

I have Sig magazines with finishes like the middle one in your pictures; however, those are for my SP2022.

So far, both types of finishes have held up well for me; however, I baby all of my equipment.

TunnelRat

Fair enough, thank you. The middle reminds me of older SIG finishes like the phosphate I mentioned. The blueing I’ve seen on other SIG parts and doesn’t bother me. You’re right that both will likely be fine. The one in the middle has a brown discoloration on the plastic inside the packaging that I think is from whatever preserving oil was put on the magazine. When I wiped off that magazine the same brown discoloration ended up on that rag. The magazine pictured above is what it looked like after.

Maybe as a function of the pandemic not all finishes have been available at all times? Idk.

wild cat mccane

Yeah. I'd contact Sig. I don't much like the variation or the appearance of that grey finish. That just looks too different. Not bad or good. But that different? odd.

Who knows. Maybe you'll find out something we can all look out for when we go to buy more mags for our P365s?

Shadow9mm

I have a p365 came with 2 10s, bought 2 15s and 1 12. All have the smooth blued finish. I would contact sig. They should be nice for fifty bucks a pop

TunnelRat

I went to a store yesterday that had received a large order of P365 magazines. None of them looked like the middle magazine. They all looked like the smooth blued model.

I ended up returning the magazine to Academy. As Shadow mentioned, for the cost of these magazines they should be in good condition.