P238 or s.a. 911 ?

Targa

Other than being single action these are two different ball games. What are you wanting to do with it?

franco45

Actually they are very much alike. You can even swap mags between them. I had a 911 and it was extremely ammo sensitive. I sold it this weekend. I have no experience with the P238. I'm sticking with my RM 380s for pocket carry.

Targa

Ahh, my apologies, my head went to a 1911. Obviously, I have no experience with the 911 but we have a couple of 938’s in the family that will be with us for the long haul, I imagine that I would be equally impressed with the 238.

The Springfield 911 .380 is a clone of the Colt Mustang, as is the Sig P238 and the Kimber Micro. And the Colt Mustang, of course, is in turn a clone (or near clone) of an earlier Spanish Star pistol.

Between the P238 and the Springfield 911? Flip a coin. Personally, I'd buy a Mustang.

Forte S+W

If it were me, then I would most likely go with the SIG P238, if not, then I'd go for a Colt Mustang itself, or heck, maybe even a Kimber if I could get a good deal on one.

In my opinion, Springfield Armory firearms are overpriced, seeing as Springfield Armory is essentially just the luxury brand importer of inexpensive foreign firearms, charging a premium for nothing more than their own name stamped on the firearm, and personally, if I'm going to spend $200 extra for a brand name, then it's at least going to be a prestigious brand name in its own right, not just the recycled name of a long-dead US armament factory.

DaleA

Springfield Armory 911 verses 1911.

911. Yeah. I get it. 911. Catchy marketing name that sticks with you. So okay they actually had a reason to do it.

And yet, if there is confusion about this I have no sympathy for them.

There seems to be something people/corporations/groups like about doing this. A computer networking company came out with a moderately successful network card, the 509 and then when they came out with a totally new card named it the 905. That was fun.

I don't think anyone comes close to the US Army though and their plethora of M1 things (rifles, carbines, tanks, bayonets etc.)

Guess it makes life interesting...but does it have to be that interesting???

Laz

The Springfield 911 .380 is a clone of the Colt Mustang, as is the Sig P238 and the Kimber Micro. And the Colt Mustang, of course, is in turn a clone (or near clone) of an earlier Spanish Star pistol.
I would say the P238 is also a near-clone of the Mustang. It’s lockup is quite different than the Mustang. The Mustang locks up with barrel lugs which lock into recesses in the slide, ala 1911 or Browning Hi-Power. The Sig locks up at the breech against the ejection port opening in the slide. That’s why the Sig slide is squared off and the Mustang is rounded. I prefer the Sig, though the Mustang looks a bit more graceful.