P238 issues

Ruark

I'm starting to get a little PO'ed at this new Sig P238. When I first got it, I went through a box of Lawman, had 2 FTE. Then 100 rounds of the truncated-cone WWB, with 5 or 6 failures of various types. Stovepipes, failures to feed (jammed on the ramp), a couple with the case flipped around BACKWARDS in the port, whatever. Then a 50-round box of PMC Bronze, with no problems. Then another 100 rounds of the WWB, with the same issues as before. Some kind of issue with every 3rd or 4th magazine. That's the story on the first 300 rounds through the gun.

Yesterday, I cleaned the gun thoroughly and lubricated it carefully with CLP and white lithium. I installed a new SIG "flat" recoil spring and a Gen3 magazine and took the gun to my CHL class today, with a box of the PMC. Our proficiency test required 50 rounds. I had two FTEs during the test. One was stuck forward in the port, the other was a stovepipe. I passed the test, but it was embarrassing to have the instructor come over twice to clear the weapon.

I'm going to fire my remaining 3 boxes of PMC through it, and if it continues to have these issues, I dread what to do next. I'm not excited about shipping a brand new gun back to Sig for a month. Since I just bought it a week ago, I'm wondering if I can get a good tradein for it. I don't know what to do; I'm just really, REALLY disappointed. SIX HUNDRED FREAKING DOLLARS for a freaking 380! Given that price and Sig's reputation, I was expecting some kind of engineering masterpiece.

I know people who have semiautos that cost half this much who have put 5,000+ rounds through them without ONE... SINGLE... FTF/FTE. I love the gun, the way it handles and feels and its compactness, and being an old-time 1911 Steel Challenge shooter, I love the single action, but my initial excitement at having a brand new Sig-Sauer is very, very rapidly fading. I keep thinking of the 9mm Glock or other gun I could have bought for that $600. Heck, I might start CCing a friggin' 1911...

Anyway, I'll put these 150 rounds of PMC through it and see what happens. If it gets through all three with no problems, I'll keep it for a while, but if it screws up... man, I don't want to think about it. I apologize for the negative post, I'm kinda venting here.

crispy

If you put those parts in it, I'm assuming is was an older model? But you said "brand new"? Do you mean "brand new" to you?

CoffeeGuns

I don't have any advice, but the same thing just happened to me with a Kahr P380. The thing was a total dud out of the box, with all sorts of failures. I had to send it back to the factory a week after I got it, after wasting money on ammo to prove it didn't work past the 200 round break in period.

Anyway, I bought a Sig P238 and it's near flawless. After lubricating it and cleaning it out of the box, it has only malfunctioned 1 out of 200 shots with a stovepipe. Otherwise, I can't make it malfunction, even when I intentionally limp wrist with one hand.

It's really frustrating to deal with the luck of the draw when you get these guns, especially when you buy an expensive brand that others claim works flawlessly for them.

I don't understand why the manufacturers don't thoroughly test them before shipping.

Ruark

"If you put those parts in it, I'm assuming is was an older model? But you said "brand new"? Do you mean "brand new" to you? "

No, I mean brand new as in "I bought it brand new 2 weeks ago." Sig sent me the spring and gen3 magazine after I called them about the FTEs.

C0untZer0

I hate to say it, but my Colt Mustang had 1 FTE the second week I had it, after that little burp, it was fine after that.

CLC

I feel your pain, mine has also been a PITA. Odd thing is mine works best with WWB but is otherwise a bit picky with ammo. Maybe some contact sig? Sorry to not have much to help.

crispy

Why would they send you those parts? They should have already been in the gun.

What are the first three characters in your serial number? I haven't read of anyone (on the sig forums) that have had problems with the 27A guns.

Deja vu

MY wife's sig P238 required 3 trips to sig and 1 trip to a local gun smith to make it work right, It is still pretty ammo sensitive.

If I only went with my personal experience I would say that Taurus makes better guns than Sig... fortunately I can read the internet and know that most sigs work well.

Daekar

OK, so based on the comments (and without the serial number) we can conclude that this was not a NEW Sig, but a NEW TO HIM Sig... or at least unsold old stock. If it were truly new, those parts would have already been installed, obviously. Would be interested to hear the born-on date.

I found that my likes generous lube on the slide rails, and the usual limp-wristing warnings apply even with the locking barrel.

Sheikyourbootie

I looked at the Sig P232. In spite of the fact I like the sights on your Sig better than the ones on the CZ83 I got ($445), I ended up going with the CZ. AND the CZ is set up for Cocked and locked carry... The way God intended.

SA pull of a little under 4#, with a SLIGHT amount of stacking as the hammer comes back a couple millimeters...and NO DECOCKER.. Thank God. Not exactly 1911 "breaking glass" trigger break, but the best off the shelf trigger I've had in any gun...except my S&W 627.

I'm a revolver guy at heart, but the CZ just called out to me, the first time I fired it. Had to get it...AND I'm not even a fan of the .380 caliber

I have put Fiocci, S&B fmj through it...no hiccups. Also the cheap a$$ blazers and Agilla JHP through it without a hiccup. Wallyworld was out of WWB, but I will try that soon...with that bullet profile I could see some guns having feeding problems.
. If polishing the feed ramp and making sure there are no mag issues, send the gun back to Sig. They will make it right.

Ruark

Yeah, it's a 27A serial number. Who knows - maybe the store swapped out the mag and spring with an older one for a customer. It's pouring rain today, but should clear up tomorrow - then I'll shoot a couple boxes of PMC Bronze and see what happens.

Daekar

Just wanted to comment that my P238 shoots WWB great. In fact, because I haven't gotten to start reloading yet, I actually carry WWB. I don't trust HPs to penetrate enough, and the flat point seems to work well for hunters so I reason it would be sufficient for SD.

I don't know how well most P238s feed HPs because I've never used them, but mine feeds and flat-nose FMJs just fine. If I recall, so does my Dad's.

sixplus1

The Sig p238 definitely takes a couple hundred rounds to break in.

Because it is so fun to shoot, it can get dirty after a hundred rounds.

I recommend the use of gun oil instead of grease. I think grease bogs down the action too much. This requires re-oiling the pistol every two weeks if you carry. Certainly re-oil before going the the range.

And polish the feed ramp on the barrel. I don't know why Sig doesn't ship with a shiny feed ramp. In a pinch use a brass fmj to burnish the feed ramp. At least get anything that looks black off the feed ramp.

The Sig p238 is a great little concealed carry job that is also fun to shoot.

Looking forward to the Sig p938.

KyJim

The flat nose WWB ammo just won't work in some small .380s. My Ruger doesn't like them, though my Sig seems okay with them. I also use FMJ in this caliber.

Daekar

Good point about the grease. I have never used grease on any gun (although my HK93 clone came packed with it), and definitely not on little guns. I use ATF on my P238, and Sixplus1 is right, it does require reoiling, although this is usually more for pocket lint cleaning than need of lube.

I have considered polishing my feed ramp as I did on my P3AT, but haven't found it necessary yet.

This gun does get dirty at the range. Maybe it's the cheap ammo, or maybe it's part of the design, but as long as I can empty my first mag without stoppages from a reasonably clean gun, I'm happy.

EDIT: I'm glad you approve! I'm pleased because I can run the same ammo for practice and carry, and it doesn't break the bank either way. :)

Last edited:

Ruark

(OP)

I went out and shot 100 rounds of PMC in it today. The last round in the first clip failed to eject: it looked like a stovepipe, but it was actually caught in the top of the clip. I'm pretty sure I had my elbow slightly bent. From that point on, I used a straight arm and a rigid grip, and the rest of the 100 rounds were fired without event.

Not sure if I'm liking this PMC, though. It's very consistent ammo: they have a manufacturing technique that rejects the round if the charge is more than 1/10 a grain off. But I noticed a LOT of unburnt powder - you could see the grains - scattered all over the inside of the gun after taking it apart for cleaning. Maybe I'll go to Lawman for future practice.

Anyway, that's the update.

CoffeeGuns

With a properly cleaned and functioning P238, it's not very sensitive to limp wristing. I limp wristed the heck out of it with one hand, barley holding it, trying to make it fail, and it only stove-piped once out of about 30 shots.

Ruark

"With a properly cleaned and functioning P238, it's not very sensitive to limp wristing. I limp wristed the heck out of it with one hand, barley holding it, trying to make it fail, and it only stove-piped once out of about 30 shots."

One failure per 30 shots is NOT acceptable in a self defense weapon. Many people would describe that as "very sensitive" to limp wristing, not "not very sensitive."

icedog88

Only failures I've ever had with mine was while using Tulammo. GF's Taurus TCP also had issues with the same ammo. Switched to PMC for both and SIG runs flawless with it. TCP ran better after changing ammo but still had occasional hiccups. Only "real" problem I had was with the grip panel screws loosening up. Loctite fixed that.