P238 and FTF's with WWB

Ruark

Still breaking in a new P238. It did fine with the first 50 rounds' that was Speer Lawman, which is the typical roundnosed FMJ. The next 50 rounds was some flat-point FMJ WWB. There were two failure to feeds. The bullet was caught on the upper lip of the chamber. Working the slide popped it in and it shot fine.

What do you think?

a. Not broken in enough.
b. Crappy ammo
c. Problem with the gun

chris in va

My friend's 229 had a similar issue the first 300 rounds. After that it was 100%. We even called Sig and they said it would clear up once the springs were settled in.

Could just be the bullet profile though. If it's choking on FN rounds, it might not like JHP too, so hard to say.

KyJim

I would say it was the ammo. My 238 will shoot it but my Ruger LCP won't. It's the only ammo I've ever fed it that it choked on.

AndyWest

I've had FTF and cycling problems with WWB (flat-nose FMJ and JHP) coincidentally in my Sig P226. There's been pics here of some truly horrible WWB rounds. They're on my "do not buy" list. Lawman tho has always done well in all my guns.

Webleymkv

As I understand it, the Speer Lawman is supposed to be loaded to exactly the same ballistics, and thus have the same recoil and POI, as Gold Dots of the same weight. Speer listst the Lawman .380 at 950fps from a 3.75" barrel while Winchester lists their .380 FMJ at 955fps but no barrel length is given. I wonder if Winchester's velocity figure is from a longer barrel and thus the Speer is a bit faster from the same barrel length. If such is the case, it could simply be that your recoil spring needs to take a bit of set and that the Lawman was simply hot enough to overcome this while the Winchester wasn't.

Another possibility is that the OAL of the Winchester is a bit different due to the flat nose bullet. I've heard that Winchester began using flat nose FMJ bullets in their .32 Auto loadings in order to make the OAL short enough to fit in the magazine of a Seecamp (the Seecamp was originally designed for Winchester Silvertips and most FMJ loadings are too long to fit in the magazine), I wonder if the same treatment was given to their .380 loadings. I have noticed that my Walther PP .32 Auto doesn't like the flat nose Winchester 71gr FMJ but that it doesn't seem to have issues with any other brand of ammo. You might simply try another brand of ammo that uses round nose FMJ such as Federal, Remington, S&B, or Fiocchi to see if any of them give you the same issues.

Last edited:

Aristides

I think it's the Flat Nose

I have two Sig P238's.

They both will run anything I put in it, EXCEPT I did have one Failure to Feed recently with WW Flat Nose, and I had one FTE with Buffalo Bore Flat Nose.

Scott at Sig Customer Service told me that the Buffalo Bore Lead Flat Nose is a known round that does not work well in the P238...too hot, messes up the timing. And he had told me previously that the Winchester Flat Nose has been known to be somewhat unreliable...I shot some anyway, because I had some on hand. I had the one FTF out of about 50 rounds.

I have no problems with other FMJ. For defense carry, I use either Gold Dots or CorBon JHP. Have never had a jam with either of these.