P228 vs P229 size?

Kraziken

Anyone know if the Sig P229 larger in size slightly?

I already own a P228 and I'm wondering if the holsters and such will still work for a P229. I know sometimes they have to beef up the gun frame in order to handle the extra pressure of .40 round.

Thanks

LFOD1776

The 229 slide is wider than the 228 slide. I just looked at mine side-by-side.

I have a Blackhawk holster that I got for the 228, and I wasn't able to slide my 229 all the way in. I didn't try super hard, though. Maybe it could work with some holsters.

Kraziken

Thanks.

That is what I suspected. I was hoping to be able to re-use my accessories, but I was guessing that it would probably not work.

j1132s

I thought the blackhawk p228 holster is also their p229 holster. Do they have a p229 specific holster? (ok, I'm referring to the 9mm version; and I see the OP's referring to 40s&w)

LFOD1776

Is there a difference in the slide between 9mm and the 40S&W? My 229's a 40/357 Sig.

I guess I could have whipped out the screwdriver and tried adjusting it, but I've got that holster set up perfectly for my P225 (which does fit nicely).

AK103K

I already own a P228 and I'm wondering if the holsters and such will still work for a P229.
A lot of this may depend on the holster maker. Some may, some may not.

Is there a difference in the slide between 9mm and the 40S&W?
There is with the P239's, not sure with the P229's. My P239 is a 357SIG, and all of the holsters I've bought for it, have been caliber specific..

One issue between the P228's and the newer P229's is the rail. The older P229's dont have one. Newer P229's with the rail wont fit the older P229 holsters. Some makers make holsters for both, but some dont, or at least they dont seem to differentiate.

These days, I buy my holsters for the guns with the rails, that way, my older guns will also fit. The difference this way is hardly noticeable. I do have older holsters for guns that dont have rails, and the rail guns wont fit at all, or are very tight.

As far as using the same holster for different models, my P220's, P245, P226's, and P6's, will all use the same (rail model) holsters. They will also work in my P229 holsters, as will my P239, but they are a sloppy fit.