P227 tearing up at the range. Range report and pictorial review.

Mystro

Its no secrete that I like Sig guns. There is a reason for this and its because they shoot and do it while oozing quality. Its that X factor that most can feel when picking up a classic P series. The P227 has that X factor in spades. This gun seems to do no wrong for me.

The background of this particular P227 was previously owned by another forum member that also has high standards on how a Sig should perform. The P227 has a Short Reset Trigger installed as well as a classic German trigger with the striations on them. It also has a modded trigger that gives it a sub 4lbs single action pull and a 10lbs double action pull. This is a deadly combination in a gun like this. Top this awesome package off with a set of Sig G10 Magwell grips that were cut down to fit the P227 without the extended magwell extension. I cant believe this modded grip isnt a factory option because it makes the grip. I did some finishing work with a dremmel and sandpaper only because I am a bit OCD and cant leave any mod alone.

The gun already had a documented 700 trouble free rounds through it with the previous owner. I managed to put another 300 rounds in two separate days.

Day 1 the weather was 92 degrees and humid. The gun shot perfect. The very first mag I ever shot through the gun had to be documented below. Other than its poi being a touch lower than all my other Sigs. The sights were the typical #6 front and #8 rear. I like a slight under target hold that all my other P226/P229/P320,etc.. have in my hands. No biggie. WWB, Gold Dot, and Federal all shot identical with tight groups. PerFecta shot just o.k. No malfunctions but I probably wont buy Perfecta again.
Pics from Day 1....

4 full mags without stopping.

Day 2..... I replaced the front #6 night sight with a #8 night sight I took off another Sig. (Pays to have alot of Sigs) I then ordered a replacement #8 for that gun. Back out to my tactical range.
Oh baby did the sight change do the trick! I could do no wrong with the P227. It literally stacked bullets at will.
I moved out to 30 yards and the group was still very good for standing shots.

So at this point I would say that this particular modded P227 is about as perfect as it gets.

I found the P227 fit in all my P226 holsters and carried easily. The weight of a fully loaded P227 is exactly what a fully loaded P226 40S&w weighs. I couldn't get the gun to fail regardless on how I shot it. It didnt care if it shot 185 jhp or 230 jhp.
The P227 really works for my application and this highly modded P227 is every thing you could ever wish for in a pistol. Its a reliable and accurate Sig that shoots big holes in anything you aim at. I am thrilled with this gun.

Special thanks to tkepk181 for having such good taste in modifications to this fine pistol.

Last edited:

JDBerg

Nice write-up, you can't argue with properly ventilated targets! Question, did the previous owner have the SRT work done presumably by the SIG Custom Shop?

I'm thinking that my next gun will be a P227 SAS G2, which has the SRT.

Mystro

Yes, the SRT was also installed. Pretty much everything you would want to do to a Sig P227 to make it a carry custom has been done. The previous owner was/is very picky and owns many other Sigs like myself. It worked out great for me because all my Sigs get sent to the custom shop for the AEP and SRT if needed. You just can't beat the Sig Custom shop for a turn key custom gun with a warranty.

WVsig

Nice shooting. I passed on a $600 LNIB SAS P227 Gen 2 because it was too big for my hands. It was a nice looking and nicely built gun but I could not get it to fit me. :(

JDBerg

You just can't beat the Sig Custom shop for a turn key custom gun with a warranty

You just said it right there! I have an M11-A1, it's fantastic out of the box, but I could really improve this one by sending it to the Sig Custom Shop & spend the $180.00 for the AEP!

Last edited:

pat701

Great shooting. I have a FDE p227 and it is my most accurate and favorite pistol. My son and i wonder if the E2 grips are what makes it so accurate for both of us. It is scary accurate for all that shoot it.

Uncle Malice

I have the 227 carry that also has the modified g10 grips like yours. I put the SRT in mine as well, paired the the Gray Guns P-SPIT trigger. Ergonomics are excellent.

I would love to try the full size out. Looks great!

msuforeman

Nice shooting. I passed on a $600 LNIB SAS P227 Gen 2 because it was too big for my hands. It was a nice looking and nicely built gun but I could not get it to fit me. :(

For $600 I would have made it fit my hand. I'm like you, they just don't feel right compared to my 226's and 220's but I sure do like the idea of them.

jr24

Nice shooting! Glad you love your 227.

I got so excited when they released it, thought it was the one that'd get me back into Sigs. Sadly when I finally got to fire it I found it was... 1.Bigger than my G21, 2. Less accurate (for me) than my G21, and 3. Holds less ammo than my G21.

I was disappointed, but it was a great gun and I'm sure I'll end up with one some day if I can find one for the right price.

Mystro

I have a G20 and the difference between the two guns is considerable. I measured under the grip circumference between the two and the P227 with G10 grips is 1/2" smaller than my Glock 20. The E2 grips make the P227 grip even smaller.

I did a quick size comparison pics between my Gen 2 Glock 20 and full size Sig P227. The P227 is thinner and smaller in about every area. Keep in mind that the Glock doesnt have a rail and will even be a bit more squared off at the bottom.

Last edited: