P226 vs PX4 Storm SD

P226 Enhanced Elite or PX4 Storm Special Duty

• P226 Enhanced Elite

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • PX4 Storm Special Duty

Votes: 15 39.5%

• Total voters

iMagUdspEllr

I want to get a DA/SA pistol just so that I can develop the ability to use DA/SA guns. I have narrowed it down to either the Sig Sauer P226 Enhanced Elite (probably in .40) or the Beretta PX4 Storm Special Duty (only comes in .45).

I'm left-handed so I'm leaning towards the Beretta because all of the Sig's controls are on the right-handed side. But I don't see not being able to use the decocker as a big deal considering I would only have to decock the pistol when I loaded it initially (and in that case I could casually reach over with my right hand and decock it).

What is everyone's opinion?

Boats

I'm a southpaw.

Back in the day, I carried a SIG P226 on duty. It was a marvelous weapon that never failed to do anything I asked of it. Only thing I did to it was swap the mag catch button around and mount night sights to it as it was private purchased off an approved list in lieu of an issued G17.

The decocker is right hand oriented, but as you noted it's mostly an administrative handling issue after charging the weapon. It does have to be trained for though for decocking it on the move during firing drills. I learned to use my right hand over the top prior to moving and slap the decocker down with the index finger, essentially copying the gross arm/hand movement that was required to sling shot the slide to RTB. Everyone must sling a SIG P series because the slide release button is uselessly small and inconveniently located to use while actually firing it.

The Beretta is a different cat. Again, the mag button can be reversed, but the slide mounted safety wings rather militate against slinging the slide overhand with the off-hand to RTB because you might accidentally decock the pistol and disconnect the trigger on an F model. (There is a school of thought out there that one can grasp the wings themselves and rip back and up, but that is another thread). To compensate, the PX-4 has a really generous slide release lever that is totally manipulable by the trigger finger.

I don't like the SIG P226 in .40 S&W. The pistol was not designed around this cartridge and its higher bore axis is not a help with the sharper recoiling .40 round.

My beef with the PX-4 SD is that it is not size efficient for the .45ACP. One would think that a polymer handgun would be able to flush mount ten rounds in the mag minimum, but it doesn't.

So, oddly enough, my breakdown would go like this:

9mm: Either the PX-4 or the SIG P226, can't go wrong, but you get 17 round mags with the Beretta.

.40 S&W: PX-4 hands down. The rotating barrel does a number on the recoil characteristics of the .40 round and once again, +2 on the capacity over the SIG.

.45ACP: SIG P220 hands down. Single stack round count with a single stack grip frame. Beretta? Single stack round count with a double stack grip feel.

EDIT: Another general benefit going to the PX-4's advantage is the wholly owned Beretta subsidiary M.D.S. which makes factory spec mags for Beretta pistols, but without the "P.B. Beretta" markup. They are regularly on sale on the internet for as little as $20.00 a magazine.

Last edited:

iMagUdspEllr

Well I don't know what drills would suggest decocking the pistol after you have decided to use it. After the shooting has begun I'm not sure why you would go back to double-action. I know I would practice double-taps with the first shot in double-action but in an actual self defense situation I don't think I would transition back to double-action.

I have thought about how it is possible to decock the pistol while racking the Beretta's slide. But I'm not sure I would do that because when I rack the slide on my other pistols I don't really grip the very top-rear of the pistol I normally grip closer to the chamber and lower near the frame (I'm used to catching the currently chambered round so that is probably why I do that). But I will probably fondle both the Sig and the Beretta before purchasing in order to figure that out. I know it is a different size and shape than the M9's safety but I haven't seen anyone have any problems with decocking their M9 on accident.

If I got one of them in 9mm I would get the PX4 Compact because it is the only one in the lineup that has a slide release on BOTH sides of the pistol (yay I can be normal and use my thumb like the righties).

Overall the Sig P220 is smaller than the PX4 but it is a little heavier. You are right about the single-stack cap in a double-stack frame for the PX4 SD. But The PX4 SD is lighter and the rotating barrel will probably tame the .45 recoil so that it will probably recoil less than the P220 that is a little heavier. Also, I don't want to get the P220 until they come out with the new Enhanced Elite version for it because that is the main the the new P226 has over the PX4 SD is that amazing set of new grips for it.

Its still a hard choice for me man. Were you able to drop the Sig's magazine without changing your grip? I'm also looking for a pistol that lets me do that.

Boats

Decocking prior to any significant repositioning was a requirement of my former department, so it had to be practiced, YMMV. I guess the rationale was a reduced chance of a ND while the pistol was in SA mode. With the advent of constant action trigger pulls that techniques may have been abandoned by now as the SA pull for a DA/SA is usually no lighter than a Glock's standard 5.5-6.5# pull.

I used to own a 8045 Cougar. I don't think the rotating barrel does much for the low pressure recoil impulse of the .45ACP.

Another benefit of a PX-4 over a P226, especially in .40S&W, is saving $200.00+ up front.

Smaug

Beretta: Ambidextrous controls and a better (IMO) caliber

I like the recoil of the 45 better, even if it doesn't carry as much energy.

Also, Sig Sauers seem a bit over-priced to me just because they're Swiss. Berettas are just as smooth and usually more cost-effective.

dgludwig

Well I don't know what drills would suggest decocking the pistol after you have decided to use it.

The reason my agency required us to decock after firing was to preclude an inadvertent discharge with a cocked pistol after the threat had been neutralized. I think said protocol has merit in real life situations.

Microgunner

I voted for the P226 because I own one, but, fellow member threegun owns a PX4 Storm and swears by it and I trust his opinion.

So, I believe both are good choices.

iMagUdspEllr

@dgludwig: Well when the threat has been neutralized you can take all the time in the world to decock it... so it isn't exactly something you need to practice under pressure.

But yeah it looks like I will be getting the P226 because it has more aftermarket stuff for it. Thanks guys.

dgludwig

@dgludwig: Well when the threat has been neutralized you can take all the time in the world to decock it... so it isn't exactly something you need to practice under pressure.

It's called training, iMagUdspEllr. And thirty years of training might help me make the right decisions while the bullets are flying and after they've stopped flying. In the aftermath of a gun fight, you will still be under considerable pressure and holding a cocked pistol before reholstering it might be an invitation to an unwanted discharge. We train for these exigencies and I'm sorry if they don't meet with your idea of what constitutes good training.

proxpilot

It's called training, iMagUdspEllr. And thirty years of training might help me make the right decisions while the bullets are flying and after they've stopped flying. In the aftermath of a gun fight, you will still be under considerable pressure and holding a cocked pistol before reholstering it might be an invitation to an unwanted discharge. We train for these exigencies and I'm sorry if they don't meet with your idea of what constitutes good training.
the decocking makes perfect sense to me