P226 Navy vs MK25

Kevin_d77

What are the differences besides night sights and the UID on the frame? Anyone know if the Navy comes with the SRT?

Uncle Malice

Navy does not come with SRT. Navy does not have a rail. MK25 has picatinny rail.

But SRT is $50 and 10 min to install. Don't let that stop you from picking it up. My MK25 is my favorite gun of all time - and I've owned over 60 handguns.

Uncle Malice

This Navy actually has a rail and threaded barrel. No night sights though.

To my knowledge, they didn't make a navy with a rail - that would be the MK25. I could be wrong, but I've never seen one.

There is a version of the MK25 with a threaded barrel, too.

This is a navy:

WE-Airsoft-P226-Navy-A.jpg

SSGN_Doc

When I look at both models on the Sig Sauer website under the specifications tab they both list frame rails. At the bottom of the specifications tab is also a line "specifications are subject to change".

I guess there is a case to be made for both a railed and non railed Navy model, as well as limited runs of threaded barrel versions of Mk 25 and Navy models. The ones Sig is selling on the open market are primarily for marketing. If someone will pay more for a railed version or a threaded barrel, or a non-railed version, then Sig will offer it.

Even the Navy gets a bit of variety. I've seen M-11 pustols with old folded steel slides as well as some with milled Stainless slides. I've seen Sig 226 varieties with embarked SEALs that had rails, and some without. I've Een a lot of SEALs still carry bone stock M9 pistols.

Apparently Sigs Marketing dept is earning their money.

Uncle Malice

It most assuredly is.

It most assuredly is NOT. That frame is a standard Sig rail. The MK25 has a 1913 picatinny rail.

stt1QhB.jpg

Let's remember that it could also easily be a frankenSig. They are not uncommon at all as the US produced Sigs are not triple serial stamped. Someone could have swapped a Navy upper into a standard 226R frame... which appears to be exactly what was done here.

It certainly could have been done at the factory - but it's not the standard 226 'Navy' design pattern. Sig frequently makes 'special configuration' designs that get shipped out with what they have on hand.

Not that there's anything wrong with it, of course. I would prefer the model with the rail to one without.

What exactly would you like to know, Kevin? The only question you asked was if it comes with an SRT. In standard configuration, it does not... but this appears to be a used gun and also of non-standard specs, so it could have had it from the factory and it could have been installed after the fact.

If you want the gun, get it.

Kevin_d77

Yea it is a used gun sold to me as a Navy. Started doing some research and couldn't find much about it. Don't know if it's phosphate coated or what? It has a U serial number, not the NSW number.

Anyway, I paid $650 for it with 4 mags.

Uncle Malice

I'd say you did pretty well. I believe without the NSW serial number, it is not a navy frame... but I wouldn't worry about whether the internals are coated or not unless you're planning on going swimming in the ocean with it.

I'd say that's not a bad price. You could send it in to Sig for the refresher package. They'll put brand new Sig Light night sights on it and replace the springs and whatnot while giving it a full once over to make sure it's all in good shape. I forget the cost but it's basically the cost of night sights... a little over a hundred bucks I think.

Shoot that thing! Also, the Hogue G10's as seen in my pic are spectacular and make a big difference in the way the gun feels. All depends on how much you wanna put into your gun.

On my MK25, I did the SRT, the Gray Guns P-SPIT trigger(like $50 or $60 and AMAZING), the SRT kit, and the Hogue G10's. It's a kinda pricey gun now, but it's also the favorite gun I've ever owned.

The action isn't quite as smooth as my P229, so I've been thinking about sending the gun to Bruce to have it all smoothed out and put the proverbial cherry on top of my baby.

Kevin_d77

Yea thought about all that. I bought the SRT and a thread protector from Top Gun. I'm gonna slap some Trijicon HD's on it and shoot it. Seems to be a perfect candidate for a can to me.

Theohazard

SIG itself is often guilty of making franken-SIGs. I saw a P226 with a Mk25 frame, rosewood grips, and with a standard 226 slide (no anchor marking). And that was a new gun straight from the distributer.

SIG makes so many different versions of each gun, and I'm guessing they sometimes need to mix-and-match stuff to get rid of overstocked parts, so they come up with these "special editions".

Uncle Malice

^ Yep. Exactly right.

Honestly, I really like the 1913 railed frame. The only downside is holster fitment. If it's a tightly fitted holster, like pancake kydex, the 1913 frames of the combat/mk25 models don't fit it well.

Other than that, I think it looks better and it's a universal pattern. I got around the holster issue by getting the Comp-Tab Infidel for the MK25 and having a custom kydex one made just for my gun. The hybrid style holsters such as Alien Gear work fine between the two because the fitment isn't as tight.