P10.45 Options

dennie suman

I have a Para-Ord P10.45 that I cannot get to shoot reliably. I have tried several different loads and brands of ammo, 2 different magazines, lubing well and running dry, etc., but cannot get this thing to go more than about 4 or 5 rounds without some sort of failure. FTF,FTE,stovepipe, you name it, I get most all of them at one time or another.
I have been considering sending it to Novak's, King's, or even back to P-O to try and get this junker running.
Do you more experienced shooters suggest this, or should I just trade to a Kimber or Springfield, etc.?
I know it is going to cost me money either way, but I am not fond of trying to sell it to someone when it will not work properly.
Thanx for the help.

Steve Smith

You aren't alone. I've seen several guys here on TFL complain about the reliability of their P10s. I am a big Springfield Armory fan, and my wife has been using a V-10 Ultra Compact for over a year now with very good results. My Champion is also doing very well. Kimber makes a smaller pistol than the SA Ultra Compact, but I have known a few guys who have had problems with their feeding. I had a Kimber "compact" which is basically a commander size, and I had no feeding problems at all, however, I had other problems. It seems to me, that even thought there are a lot of very satisfied Kimber customers, they have not totally fixed their problems...and have not extended their 1 year warrantee either. Also, it seems to me that the sub-officer sized 1911's are just having problems across the board. I'm sure the custom guys can get 'em to work, but the factories continue to have cycling problems with the short stroke and steep feedramps. IMHO, you would be well served with a Springfield Untlra-Compact or the high-cap Ultra Compact. SA has a lifetime warrantee.

Also! You could sent the pistol to Brian Bilby. He apparently has a good handle on getting the little big bores running.

Libertarian

Send it back to PO for the first try at fixing it. Once it goes elsewhere, your warranty is gone. If they can not fix it, they might replace it. At the very least, it shouldn't cost you more than shipping to get them to look at it.

jones

dennie; send it back to Para-Ord. They've been very helpfull with any problem that I've ever had. I wouldn't know about the compact, but I've never had a worrysome problem with my P-14. In fact, it's been the best 1911 that I've gotten out of the box. (comparably priced models)

thanatos

When I first got my P-10, the ONLY round which would feed reliably through it was the Silvertips. I got a new magazine from PO, it feeds everything reliably, also two extra mags, and they feed reliably. I keep the Silvertips in the gun, anyway. If they fed through a defective magazine that choked on everything else, superstition tells me to run them through GOOD magazines.

Have had ABSOLUTELY no problems with my P-14. The shorter action is definitely a culprit.