P.o.f. Uppers.

gunzblazin

Does anyone have any experience with these AR uppers? I am thinking about buying one but I don't know if is really worth it. I want a weapon that I can rely on if I need to protect myself and my family if there is ever a situation where this need is the only thing that matters. This may happen, it may never happen, but I want to be ready. I'm really interested in these piston rifles such as FAL's and AK's but I really like the AR platform. I have also been interested in the Magpul Masada and Kel-Tec RFB, but I don't like the idea of investing in these new designs just yet. I want something that I can easily mount/dismount an optic. I already own an AR, but I am attracted to the piston craze. Call it marketing, but why not own the system that is maybe a bit more reliable even at the extra cost. Back to the orginal question, are these P.O.F.'s any good? Any other comments or thoughts regarding the SHTF subject are welcome.

GUNZ

20nickels

I do not currently own an AR, but if I was going to buy one it would be a POF based soley on what I have read. I saw a 20,000 rd test in a recent magazine, all they did was wipe the parts clean with a rag and occasionally added a dry-lube. Little maintenance, lots of reliability and everything else was top notch too. Pricey though you get what you pay for.

before making any rash decisions, consider this:
srt.jpg

M6A2 - The M6A2 is our premier model. It is identified by our patended ARM-R rail system, low profile gas block. The complete rifles come with the Magpul CTR stock, MIAD pistol grip, Enhanced trigger guard. Standard barrel length is 14.5". Also available with barrels in PSD (8"); CQB (10.5"); PA (14.5" with a permanent attach Flash Hider); and R (16.1"). Clean, cool, self regulating short stroke piston operations without any front sight block to obstruct optics.

Caliber:
5.56 x 45mm NATO or 6.8 x 43mm SPC
Weight Without Mag 14” bbl: 6.8 lb
Overall Length: 34.5 inches
Stock Retracted: 31 inches

5.56 NATO
Muzzle Velocity: 2800 ft/sec
Bore Characteristics: Hard chrome lined, 6 lands and grooves, 1 twist in 7 inches, right hand

in my OPINION, this is the best piston rifle on the market, i have 5 of their piston rifles/carbines and have never experienced a malfunction with any of them.

HorseSoldier

I'd say run a search here and on The High Road, if you're on that site as well. There are a number of reports of POF uppers not surviving five day defensive carbine courses reported by instructors and other eye witnesses floating around. These may be from earlier versions of their upper, as I think they're up to a 3.0 or 4.0 kind of design with them.

The reputation for the Leitner-Wise/Land Warfare piston upper that Mach II Sailor posted the info on seems to be much more solid, but they do carry a higher price tag. Or there's the Sig 556 out there, and supposedly HK 416s, SCAR-Ls and the Masada all in the pipeline.

Alley Oop

I have 2 POF uppers, 11" and 9". Neither one has given me any trouble at all. The 9" upper is on a Colt lower, obviously on a form 4 as an SBR. It also has an AAC M4-2000 suppressor on it. I shoot 75 gr. Hornady TAP 5.56 ammo thru it and have had absolutely no problems after 2500 rounds(mix of M193, Fed AE and TAP ammo) so far. It is a tack driver.

PPGMD

I have a POF upper, I like it a lot, it feeds and cycles just about any ammo I can put through it (including some ammo that gives many DI ARs trouble locally).

I recently reached the 1,000 rounds mark (going to the outdoor range is annoying, I only go there with friends), putting through 300 rounds of Wolf. When I went to clean it (for the first time), all the crud just wiped off, only had to use the pick to get into the detail areas.

Between POF and LWRC it's pretty much a tie, one has certain features I like, while others has other features I like.