+P Ammo in Polymer Framed 45 ACP?

147 Grain

Just bought a EAA Witness Compact 45 auto (Tanfoglio) with 3.77" barrel and was shocked to find the Instruction Manual recommending against +P ammo in all their polymer framed pistols. :confused:

Questions:

* Is this a legal tactic?
* EAA is saying this to prevent possible warranty claims?
* Poly frame actually cannot handle extended +P use?
* Pistol is really up to the task of +P ammo?

Can the dual Recoil Springs be upgraded to slow the slide speed down for better protection of the polymer frame?

Thank-you in advance of your advice! :)

Steve

mete

They made the gun so take their advice. It's not just a polymer problem it's a matter of overall design.I'm not impressed with +P loads in general. When you get to the 45acp class any JHP with get the BG's attention so it's more a matter of bullet placement .A JHP or premium JHP is all that's needed.

Lou22

The owner's manual for my Cobra Patriot 45 (which is polymer) says use of +P ammo voids the warranty. OK, so I'm gonna try Double Tap 230gr, which is not +P.

Lou

TangoTracker

Well for instance Hornady JHP/XTP #9113
is .45 Auto +P 200gr

Hornady TAP #91128
is .45 Auto 200gr NOT +P

and both are rated at

1055fps Muzzle
962 50 Yards
926 100 Yards

147 Grain

Lou:

I already have purchased a case of Double Tap 230-gr. at 1,010 fps for the Ruger KP345PR and although it is rated with a standard pressure level (using cooler burning powders not commercially available), the recoil is similar to +P and equivalent to the Ranger T 230-gr. +P (RA45TP).

So while Double Tap complies with EAA's letter of the law (no +P), it breaks the spirit of their intent. Frankly, I'm only concerned about safety and reliability of the pistol - nothing else.

Steve

P.S. I love what Mike McNett is doing at Double Tap - using unique cooler burning powders which provide smooth / broad pressure curves that build excellent velocity out of standard pressures with very little flash.

See my signature more more info.

Lou22

147 grain:

Thanks for the heads up. I guess from your description of how Double Tap's 45 load feels in your Ruger, the stuff avoids the +P pressure but still puts +P like strain on the action. I might still carry with it in the Patriot but limit how much I shoot.

On the other hand, I could just shoot it out of my Ruger P90. Shouldn't be any worry about straining the action of that gun :cool: .

I tell ya, once I shot a 45 auto for the first time, 9mm shooting just isn't the same.

Lou

Zekewolf

I've wondered, from the beginning of Double Tap, how it is that they can produce the velocities that they do without increasing pressures. You think maybe none of the other ammo manufacturers are capable of blending powders? You think maybe none of us who take Double Tap's pressure figures as gospel have the means to check behind them? Maybe they're contracting with a certain internet high-pressure reloading "expert" to produce their pressure info, based on software extrapolations. :p

I'd like to see some pressure tests done by an independent lab on Double Tap ammo. If that's already been done, I'd appreciate a link to the source.

Zekewolf

I'd like to see some pressure tests done by an independent lab on Double Tap ammo. If that's already been done, I'd appreciate a link to the source. ;)