P-85 questions

Huskerguy

I was contacted about buying a used Ruger P-85, 9mm. I can't say that I have ever even had one in my hands or know much about them, much less shot one. What can you tell me? What kind of value do they have?

Rich Miranda

A quick check on Gunbroker has a couple selling for about $290. Add maybe $50 for shipping and FFL and you're in the $340 range if you buy online.

I have a P90, which is basically the same gun in .45. If memory serves, I paid about $315. So, if you're in that range, you're probably good.

As far as the gun itself, I am a little biased toward Ruger and the P series since I LOVE MY P90. It is simple, rock-solid reliable, and easy to care for. Never any FTF or FTEs except with one brand of hollowpoints (I forget which). The grip is surprisingly ergonomic, especially when you compare it to a Glock, for example.

I recommend it. :)

armedandsafe

I have carried and shot my P-85 for over 15 years, now. I love it. The only time it is not in my IWB is when I'm out in the field with my DW .357 in a hip holster. When I get back to camp, it goes back on my belt.

I'd go for it, but I don't need another. :D

Pops

wyohusker

They are built like tanks. I have been reading on this forum for a couple of years and I don't think that I have ever seen where one failed to breakage. They are sleepers and one of the best guns for the money IMHO!! 9 mm is cheap to shoot. I picked one up last week because its the only ammo I can find.

Edit: By the way GO HUSKERS!!

goodspeed(TPF)

Make sure the SAFETY RECALL has been performed by Ruger before you buy it. I had one when they first came out. Always went bang and hit the paper. IMHO I probably wouldn't pay more than $250.00 "all in" for one though. Better/newer things out there for $300.00 and up now. Good luck. -Goodspeed

curt.45

used to carry onr till I moved up to a P90 it never let me down, still have it and still shoot it, good gun for the money.

2afreedom

I used to have a P89 which was an really tough, reliable weapon. The only complaints I had with it were the heavy DA pull and the fat grip; it just did not fit my hand. If you like the grip, then you can't go wrong. I will echo what has already been said and say that the max I would pay for one would be around $300 unless it came with tons of mags or extras.

Tortuga12

So big, tough, and brutal looking, it's a wonder it wasn't built in some Soviet tank factory!

My dad has the P85 mk II, and it's great. Really soaks up recoil!

DrLaw

I got mine when they were new and you could not find them all over. It was about the time that Wisconsin Highway Patrol went with them and some other State took them so numbers were low on the shelves.

About two years later, I could get it for about $75.00 less than I paid for it. :barf:

It is built like a tank. It is accurate. It did have a recall and it is a nice high-cap magazine.

That said, about the only thing I did with mine was add some aftermarket rubber grips like Hogue or something, cannot remember now.

And, it a fun gun to shoot. :D

The Doc is out now. :cool:

Hellbilly5000

I have had a ruger p85 mkII for about 10 years now and it is an awsome gun ive never had an issue with it at all. and i am never getting rid of it

Chesster

I've had a couple in the past. Good reliable, durable shooters. Feels and looks like a brick in the hand. Saw a report when they first came out: Threaded the inside of the bbl and screwed in a bolt. Fired gun. Only damage was to blow off the extractor. Unscrewed the bolt and it would still fire as a single shot. Sturdy gun. $250 +/- for a used one.

comn-cents

I love the P seiries but the p85's were changed in 1989 to (p89) with better safties & slide stops. Never heard if the quality of the p85 was or is as good as the p89.

seaville

p-85 mll

I bought the p-85 MKll 17 years ago from a friend used for 300. It came with a case , 2- 15 round mags and a mag loader. It's a great gun, very accurate and durable. It has never malfunctioned, and I've shot it regularly since I've owned it. The first run of the p-85s were recalled. The problem was fixed on the later model, the p-85 MKll. Mine has P-85 MKll on the side of the slide. It has amidextrious thumb saftey and decocker on the slide. It also has a lanyard loop on the bottom of the handle.
It is near the same model as the p-89, the mags fit either gun. The p-89s that I have seen are generally two-tone, whereas the P-85s are blued black in color.
The P-85 was designed as a military weapon to replace the 1911. As I recall, Ruger didn't get the p-85 ready in time.
I wouldn't take $300 for mine, however I've seen them priced from 250 to 325.
ps action is da/sa

Last edited:

jakeswensonmt

Make sure the SAFETY RECALL has been performed by Ruger before you buy it.
Doesn't the safety recall more-or-less make the P85 just like the P89?
I'd bet a dollar that Ruger will still do the work on an unrecalled P85 today.

ILLINI

The Hogue wrap around grip is a must have for this gun. It looks good and really helps improve the feel of the gun....Illini