P 3AT--the target edition

Dave R

Just kidding.

Its an off the shelf P-3AT. But this group got me a litle excited. 7 yards, offhand, 6 shots, about one shot per second. I was in the groove. The little pistol is capable of putting the bullets where you want them, once you get used to the slim grip, long trigger, strange sight picture, etc.

I was running low on targets, so this is just the backing from a Shoot-N-C sticky.

"Believe it or not."

Attachments

• PICT0152.JPG
    PICT0152.JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 190

Bill DeShivs

Very nice shooting! It has been my experience that the Keltec guns are quite a bit more accurate than most people can shoot. Adding a simple trigger stop, if your gun has overtravel, helps make them easier to shoot accurately.
Conventional sights help, too. Here is a picture of my P32 with P11 sights. Included is a .32 NAA Guardian with P11 sights.
Bill
http://pauliechromatic.com/BillDe2.shtml

Dave R

I can see how those modified sights would help accuracy a lot. Did your 'smith put those in for you?

DeadCenter

There not a bad shooting little gun, this was the first time out with my new P3AT a couple weeks ago at 15 yards:

IMG_07691.jpg

yomama

I also carry it when i'm carrying my full size 1911! I love the Kel-tec, and still think of it as a really good secret. No one knows how good they are, hense the price is great.

Walt Sherrill

Great little guns.

One of my friends who has a bunch of custom 1911s hates the P3AT, swears they can't hit the broad side of a barn. Bought one and sold it. I shot mine, did small groups about about 20' and gave it to him, and he could barely hit the target. He will outshoot me with his 1911s.

Some guns and some people just don't go together very well.

I don't enjoy shooting my P3AT as the trigger guard hits my trigger finger during recoil, and short of having the trigger guard reformed, I don't know how to deal with the pain. After about a box, I'm ready to retire the gun for the day. But that doesn't keep me from carrying it a LOT.

Hedley

Bill, that chromed slide looks great. Did you say you did it yourself? I've been pondering the idea of doing the same to mine. These are great little pistols, especially for the money. I just wish I had smaller hands.:)

And any hints on how to pull the takedown pin without scratching the slide? I've been putting a piece of cardboard below a .380 shell to keep it from gouging the blue, but there has to ba a better way.
keltec002tk0.jpg

Last edited:

Bill DeShivs

Hedley
Thanks! The slide is actually nickled, and I did it myself. I use a knife blade to remove my pin.
If you use a very sharp knife, you can scrape the casting lines off the grip frame. This makes it look better, and reduces irritation when shooting. If the checkering is too sharp for you, sand it with 400-600 grit wet/dry sandpaper.
Bill

Hedley

Yeah, I plan on using an Exacto knife to trim all the casting lines. I actually wish it had more slide serations for my large hands. I bought it for my fiance, but she likes my revolver more. So looks like this one is all mine.

Dave R

I shot mine, did small groups about about 20' and gave it to him, and he could barely hit the target. He will outshoot me with his 1911s.
You bring up an excellent point. NOBODY shoots a P-3AT well until they get accustomed to the thin grip, long trigger, and unusual sight picture. But if you practice until you can shoot it well, its actually capable of some pretty decent accuracy.

I don't have the problem with the trigger guard hitting my finger, so I can shoot it a lot.