+p .380

Northrider

Hello All,
I finally got my Bersa Thunder .380 and like it much better than my LCP, which will go on the market soon.
My question pertains to ammo. Can I shoot +p .380 in the Thunder, provided I can find some?

I reload, but have not pushed any loads, in any of my calipers, to the max.

Thanks for your help.

alex0535

My understanding of it is that there is no official .380 +P because SAAMI has not set out specifications for .380 +P to give manufacturers any way to rate a firearm for .380 +P.

It will probably void your warranty, it might work just fine for a while, but it might destroy the gun sooner or later.

Laz

While it is probably worth noting once again there is no official .380 "plus P" standard, this is quoted from the FAQ On Bersa.com:

What kind of ammunition can I use in my BERSA pistol?
+P rated ammunition is acceptable for use in BERSA firearms. For your knowledge, it is a possibility that the constant use of this ammunition may increase the normal wear of the gun. Additionally, hollow and or flat-nose bullets can be used if they are in standard commercial cartridges. However, sometimes the hollow point bullets will not feed, in which the feed ramp will need to be polished. This is not covered under warranty.

Can I use +P ammunition in my Bersa pistol?
Bersa pistols have been designed to support all kind of ammunitions considered under the international standards like SAAMI, among these ammunitions we can find the denominated +P. Nevertheless it is worth mentioning that the constant use of this kind of cartridge may increase the normal wear of the gun.

michael t

You can waste you money on the so called Plus P .Before ammo got to over priced I fired a lot of Corbon JHP and DPX from my Bersa Thunder year 2004. It never bothered it I carry DPX as my SD round in all my 380's

Come over to bersachat.com a few 1000's owners will help you out. :D

Ambidextrous1

I don't think hot loads in any caliber are a good idea. They aren't comfortable to shoot, and they can be counted on to cause additional wear on the firearm.

If the .380 isn't macho enough for you, consider upgrading to a different pistol, in 9mm, .40 or 10mm.

Northrider

Thanks for the input. I was just curious, especially after reading that part in the manual.

Not a question of it being macho enough for me or not. I have plenty of other calibers to play with.

Thanks again

Shoot Safe and Often

Sparks1957

My favorite .380 load is a little on the hot side, and fairly comparable to Corbon and Gold Dot. Have fired thousands now through my Bersa Thunder .380 with no apparent excess wear. It's not a fragile gun; it's designed well. I wouldn't worry too much

carguychris

What kind of ammunition can I use in my BERSA pistol?
+P rated ammunition is acceptable for use in BERSA firearms.
The statement is probably meant to address 9mm+P as Bersa offers firearms chambered in 9mm Luger also. There is a SAAMI pressure standard for 9mm+P.

bt380

I have a Bersa Thunder 380. I carry Buffalo Bore +P ammo. I only shoot the +P stuff every 6 months or so when I cycle my ammo (I rotate the ammo in the mag w/ the other +P ammo still in the box about every 3 months). I shoot all the +P ammo up and then start over w/ a new box of Buffalo Bore +P for carry. I haven't had any problems. For regular target practice, I use what ever cheap 380 ammo I can get (no steel). I have the rubber grip w/ extended pinky attachment on the mag. I use shooters choice grease on the slide and barrel metal/metal contact areas. The rest of the gun I use CLP and an air compressor to blow off the excess followed up w/ a wipe down using those blue auto shop paper towels. Keeps control of the oil and associated mess. I use super light coat of gun oil to wipe the inside of the barrel out once a month. Also watch for the dust/lint build up from carry. On a new Bersa Thunder 380, if you get firing failures, order your springs for mag and barrel yourself rather than send in the gun. They make for an easier fix. As you are aware, the recoil spring is directional sensitive so read the manual.