P-220 Combat o XD .45 ACP

Ac1d0v3r1d3

So my 21st is comming up in about 4 weeks. and i'm thinking about buying a pistol. First off, i shoot weekly. Pistols and rifles. I shoot 9mm and a .40 s&w and .357 mag, but i've shot 45's very little. I shot one once when i was 13 or so. And i dont remember the recoil being uncontrolable or uncomfortable really.
Anway, i've been doing a little bit of research on pistols lately, seing as i'll beable to buy one soon. I hear good things about the Sigs and i really like the look of the P-220 Combat. But also about a month ago a buddy of mine let me shoot his XD, and i really liked it, a very accurate (for me) pistol. It was a 9mm tho, and i believe it was the compact verson. It was smaller than a standard sidearm, but not tiny, not like a glock sub compact. I'm not too sure what this version is called.

so i'll be looking to you guys and gals for a little advice and maybe some of your expierences with either of these pistols in .45 ACP. I'll be looking at the standard XD compared to the P-220 Combat . Also, I'm not worried about recoil, i shoot 357 mag SD ammo out of a S&W Model 60 with little difficulty.
I know these pistols are somewhat different, so that complicates things, but that will just make this thread more interesting. :)
An please no one liners. I'd like to have reasons for why i should go with one or the other, you know, Pros and Cons of each firearm.
Thanks,
Chris

NR-LIFE_MEMBER

IMHO.. Sig is Tops.. The XD-45 - It shoots and feels like a 1911 (Sort of). If you don't need the latest and greatest Sig - get a CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) in a 220.. I see them in the Sig Forum all the time..

Here is the Sig Forum for information..
http://sigforum.com

IMHO - unless you are going to put a surpressor on the Combat P220 - Don't waste your money.. (Unless you have extra to waste).. The standard P220 with the 4.4" Barrel works like a champ..

Here is the XD Forum..
http://www.xdtalk.com/

I had the XD Tatical 5" - It worked fine - but I liked the Glock Better (G30 in .45ACP)..

The recoil and the accuracy on the G30 is excellent.. It's third in my book to the P220 and the H&K USP..

Goof Luck!!

BTW (IMO): If you don't already have it - get an NRA Membership and Vote in the elections - if you want to keep your rights to keep and bear arms!

Moe C.

I can't give you any advice since I only own an XD-9 service model. Although I can tell you that the XD-45 was the 2006 handgun of the year.

wth?

fist of all, I'd take the Sig steel over just about anyone's Poly. Sigs are like the BMWs of the gun world: precision, accuracy, fit and finnish, feel, and re-sale value are all higher than almost any other production gun out there. Try the trigger on a Sig versus anyone else, and you'll see what I mean. Sigs jave a reputation (especially the 220) for being one of the most accurate pistols out of the box you can buy. And while the XD is a nice pistol, the Sig is a NICE pistol, and is a classic design in it's own right.

If price is not an issue (all the nice ain't cheap!), go Sig

HorseSoldier

Sigs actually seem to depreciate pretty quick in my neck of the woods. A $750+ pistol new down here sells for $400-something used, typically. Used Glocks, as a comparison, tend to go for about $50 less than a new Glock.

But, anyway, the P-220 Combat will probably cost you almost as much as two XD 45s, with a big chunk of that being the finish on the pistol. A standard P-220R in black is $100-150 less. I'd take the Sig over the XD, if money's not an object, but the XD over the Sig if on a budget.

'75Scout

I don't ever buy a gun based on what I can resale it for. If I don't think I will keep it forever, then I don't buy it. But I have been disappointed in some guns and decided to sell them.

I personally have a Sig 220R and it's probably the greatest purchase I ever made. It's more accurate than I am and is one of the finest quality autos I have ever handled. I also like the 220 Combat, but if its not any better than the normal 220s. I don't care for polymer frames too much. I respect most of the designs, but they just feel cheap to me.

Ac1d0v3r1d3

I actually shoot a CZ75B a lot. But its a 9mm. I like it, but its not as ergonomic as the baby desert eagle is for me. Anyway that kind of off topic.
I dont plan on threading anything onto the barrell so maybe i wont go with the P-220 combat. I do like the looks of that flat dark earth tho. But black is good too. Thanks for the advice guys, and keep it comming.
Has anyone done a range report on the P-220 lately? I've seen a ton of them in magazines and online for the newer XD 45. I recall that Clint Smith did one not too long ago.
Thanks
Chris

P.S.
Come on WildWhatswiththeoneliner?Aintgotanythingelsetosay?Alaska

chris in va

I'd take the Sig steel over just about anyone's Poly

Not sure on the Combat, but my older 220 has an aluminum frame. So that point is moot.

But anyway, I had an XD9 for a while...my first CCW. It was alright but I couldn't get used to the trigger. It felt somewhat mushy and letoff was variable.

Now my Sig...what can I say. I trust it explicitly. Dead nuts reliable and the trigger is awesome. Ergos aren't all that great, my CZ has it beat, but I don't trust the CZ near as much after numerous FTE's.

I think in the long run the Sig would be a much better way to go.

Axion

I was in your shoes a while back and I went for the Sig. Why? Because everything about it just felt better to me. From the way it fit my hand, to the way it shot.

Ac1d0v3r1d3

i'll have to go ahead and handle each of these guns. I think ergonomics will be the deciding factor. Hopefully my pistol range has rentals for these...

Prolanman

I would go with the Sig. I've shot both and personally like the feel of the Sig better. So much that I purchased a P220R Carry. It will cost you more money for the Sig, but I think you'll find it worth it.

Boone Hillbilly

I have the S&W 40 and love it and am too waiting for the 45 to come out.. I have had the Springfield in the past(miss it) and am in the process of picking up another when I can find one at a show at a good price..

Officer's Match

I just saw the first ad's in a flyer for the 45 M&P's. Vance's in Columbus, OH is taking deposits for the first ones which they claim will be arriving soon.

Sgt.Fathead

Drool Factor

IMHO, those are both very fine pistols from reputable manufacturers, well engineered and produced. That being said, I own neither. I am a wheel gun man and the only semi-auto pistols in my safe are the wife's Stoeger Cougar in .40, a 1917 Luger in 9mm inherited from my father-in-law and a Beretta Model 418 .25 pocket pistol from 1954, likewise inherited (and, literally, a blast to shoot!).

I have done a great deal of research on each gun, though, as we shopped for a nice pistol for the wife (and settled on the Cougar) and here's my two cents:

The Sig P220 combat, which comes in a non-threaded barrel edition, by the way, is a pretty hot number with that Float Dark Earth finish, contrasting slide and those desert grips. But is it truly that much different from the P220R carry? Other than the salt-spray corrosion resistance, not really. If you don't imagine yourself needing a pistol that can withstand several hours immersed in the Pacific, maybe a less expensive model and you can save that loot for ammo, a nice holster, grip upgrades? Sig is known for their reliability, their customer service and their beautiful machining so if you choose this puppy or any other Sig product, you should do just fine with it.

OR

You can get a Springfield XD in .45 ACP and get a pistol, 2 mags, a mag belt pouch and a holster and a lock. You can also get it in a black/olive two-tone configuration that is just as cool, if not cooler, than the Sig. It is getting kudos everywhere. Major awards, loud applause. You've shot the 9mm and liked it, right? Maybe this is the way to go?

Only you can decide! Hopefully some of this has been helpful. Me, I'm a revolver guy so in the end, does it matter? You are the one who has to find a firearm to fit you. Good luck, safe shooting!

Ac1d0v3r1d3

Yeah, i read about that salt water submersion test. Seems alright for a carry gun. But i'll probably stick with my Stainless Model 60 for carry. Anyway, i'm on vacation now, so in another week i'll get around to checking these guns out. Thanks for the advice. Good to know that either choice would be good.