Owner's comments on S&W 1911PD

Striker1

Just layed away a S&W1911PD and would like feedback from owners.

Looks like a nice Commander size 1911.

Thanks

DataMax

I bought a 1911PD last summer and I love it! It is definately a quality piece that handles and shoots very well. And it weighs 28 oz. ... I cannot count on two hands the polymer frame guns that are heavier.

Last time I was at the range I gave it the max test ... threw 230 RNL and 200 SWCL reloads into a bowl along with three types of factory hollow points. Then I mixed them all up all the loads and loaded six S&W mags with eight rounds each. I then went through the mags one after another. Not one FTE or FTF.

To date I have not experienced a single FTE or FTF.
To date my 1911PD has been 100% reliable.
It doesn't get any better than that!

You did good :)

Striker1

The gunshop owner said the previous owner of the pistol traded it in because it wouldn't reliably feed Gold Dot HPs.

I however don't give up that easy!

Thanks for your reply

sdj

SW1911Sc

Very pleased with the full-size SW1911Sc that I own. No problems with it, to date.

Good luck.

elwaine

The gunshop owner said the previous owner of the pistol traded it in because it wouldn't reliably feed Gold Dot HPs.
Some people expect guns to feed everything and anything immediately. The slide and frame in many guns, especially a 1911, need to lap together, and that can take many hundreds of rounds fired before the component parts attain that sort of polishing. Some manufacturers even state in there owner's manual that the gun should not be considered reliable until at least "x" number of rounds have been put through the gun. (E.g., Kahr recommends 200 rounds for their guns.) - A few custom gun manufacturers deliver their new guns with as good a polish as you'll likely get during use (e.g., Baer, Brown, Wilson), but you'll pay a premium for that kind of fit and finish.

I make it a habit of firing at least 500 (and preferably 1,000) rounds of Winchester White Box FMJ ammo through a new 1911 before I even attempt to feed it hollow points. I'll bet your 1911PD will work just fine after it is properly broken in. Then again, some guns simply do not like certain ammo, but there is a wide selection of good defensive rounds that your gun will feed without a hitch. I don’t understand why anyone would sell a gun simply because it did not feed one particular brand of ammo.

I owned a S&W 1911 Sc (the predecessor of the 1911 PD). I really liked the gun a lot. Never had a problem with it. I sold it only because I bought a Les Baer and need the money to put towards that purchase.

Striker1

Thanks all,

I'm not unfamiliar with the 1911 having owned a '70 series Colt for many years.

I did notice the factory magazines came with some "different" looking followers.

mini14jac

I did notice the factory magazines came with some "different" looking followers.

The "skirted" followers are to keep your frame from getting abused from the more common "folded" follower in 1911 magazines.
From the pictures I've seen of aluminum framed guns, the standard follower with the sharp edges can really mess up the frame.

Wilson 47D mags have a skirted, plastic follower, and should work well in your gun.
S&W actually ships them with some guns.

The best options seems to be Chip McCormick Powermags, with Tripp Industries followers and springs installed.
That's how I'm planning to equip my gun.

I picked up the stainless 1911SC back in December.
(Just after they quit making them. :rolleyes: )

So far mine has fed Win. hollow points, aluminum CCI fmj, Wolf fmj, Win. fmj, and PMC fmj.
I sold my full sized, stainless S&W 1911 so I could buy the lighter Scandium gun for CCW.
(I still miss my big 1911. :( )

I only bought each of my S&W guns after reading all the owner reports I could find.
What I found was an overwhelming number of satisfied S&W 1911 owners, both of steel and Scandium guns.

S&W may sell less 1911s than Kimber, Springfield, etc. but they also seem to let fewer lemons out the door, from what I've found.

(And everybody lets an occasional lemon out.)

ugly-scott

My target model has several thousand rounds through it. It is very reliable and accurate. I use it for ccw as well as ocasional IDPA( when I have time, damn work!) the only ftf's have all been my fault (messing with spring weights, "special" reloads and such) In factory configuration it is an exelent sidearm.

tegemu

My absolute favorite of 6 1911's is my Smith & Wesson Scandium Commander which is the same gun as the 1911PD only in white metal. The general concensus on these guns is that they are superb firearms. Very reliable, light weight, fun to shoot....... You will not be disappointed in one, for that matter you will be VERY pleased.

OBIWAN

Sigh:rolleyes:

I had a one of the original Scandium Commanders and it was a fine weapon

It ate everything I fed it from day one...and my "break-in" consists of mixed mags of all kinds of weird ammo I have accumulated

I sold it simply because I got a good deal on a Colt CCO and I was more comfortable without the firing pin safety on the smith

As for reliability

Lapping or bedding is a myth...most pistols will work fine right out of the box with good magazines AND good ammo

Some oddball ammo may give you problems but unless you end up with a weapon that will not fire ANY ball all you have is a finicky pistol and likely some out of spec ammo (wrt O.A.L.)

(and no...the magazine it came with may not be good)

Some manufacturers mandate a minumum round count simply because some people can screw up any handgun made...the simple act of shooting 200 (or more) rounds may give them time to figure out how the darn thing works

as articles in the last two months issues of SWAT will point out...paying $2,000 for a pistol does not mean it will work...not even if you are a gunwriter

Any mechanical device can/will have issues

Striker1

Thanks to all for some very informative comments.

Sounds like a reliable, accurate andgood looking pistol!

UNfortunately, it seems like the M&P is stealing all the attention!

robctwo

I am another stisfied S&W1911PD owner. I've put around 1,000 rounds through mine so far. Seems to be totally reliable. CT grips add a bit of fun and are nice in the night stand.

PICT2436.jpg