over heating revolvers

Both of my Colt King Cobras 2" & 3" get very hot after firing 2-3 full chambers and I always get a misfire, but only when they are hot.
Never had this with my Glocks. Also use only American made ammo with NO LEAD.
Question is is this common?
I alway fully clean my revolvers & pistols after a day at my range.

As alway, all responses are welcome.

JohnKSa

Administrator
The hammer falls but the round doesn't fire?

That's weird. It's also not acceptable. I'd contact the manufacturer. I can't imagine they intentionally build their guns so they will only fire 12-18 rounds before they start to malfunction from overheating.

buck460XVR

The hammer falls but the round doesn't fire?

That's weird. It's also not acceptable. I'd contact the manufacturer. I can't imagine they intentionally build their guns so they will only fire 12-18 rounds before they start to malfunction from overheating.

^^^I gotta agree.

Hal

Need more info:

- what are you shooting as far as ammunition is concerned?
(caliber - bullet weight )

- where are you shooting? Inside or outside?

- yes, please describe the misfire in a little more detail.

- are the guns new or used?

cslinger

I have shot some Jframes REALLY hot. Think HK P7 only hotter and never had an issue.

Sounds like a problem or QC issue.

Bob Wright

Usually my guns get hot, too hot to touch the barrel and cylinder area. This mostly with my .44 and .45 caliber guns, after maybe 200 ~250 rounds fired. And using lead bullets. Jacketed bullets do create more friction and do heat the gun up muuch faster. But never have I had a revolver fail to fare due to heat. Even fired the M-1 rife until the linseed oil boiled out of the handguard and it kept chuggin along.

shoebox1.1

I don’t think heat is the issue. I sent my king cobra for light strikes two times! A month each visit. It’s finally fixed. They don’t tell you what they do to them. I’d send it in and get any new parts they might have

Carmady

Isn't a "cook off" what happens when a chambered round fires because the chamber was too hot? Iow, the chamber is hot enough to start ignition without the need for a strike to the primer.

If that's true, it makes no sense that a "hot gun" would prevent the cartridge from firing when the primer was struck with the firing pin.

Something doesn't add up here.

rodfac

Sounds like a trip back to Colt, Doc. I seriously doubt that it's possible to fire, reload, fire, reload, etc. fast enough to cause any revolver to misfire. That assumes it's mechanically sound/timed, etc. Lead build up on the forcing cone face can tie up a really close fitting piece, but I can't imagine what would cause your described misfire condition.

Colt is serious about getting back into the revolver business after decades of focus on other lines, and has spent considerable engineering time trying to correct past mistakes. I'd give them the chance to make it right. Best regards, and hope you're doing well friend. Rod

Carriertxv

When I shoot revolvers I shoot them a lot. The only time I notice them getting hotter than normal is if I’m using Tightgroup. It makes a noticeable difference.

Onward Allusion

Based on my reads, definitely not your grandfather's Colt. Hell, not even the 80's King Cobra that I had. I'm sticking with S&W PC and Taurus for my revolvers. Yes - Taurus.