Outrageous snake prices

Eazyeach

Why are colt snake guns going for so much more than blue book values? King cobra prices are catching up with the python/diamondback prices. I sold a blue king cobra last month for $675 and feel like an idiot looking at gun broker and armslist now. Everyone is asking at least $1200! I'll just hold on to my stainless cobra for a few years then sell it and retire!!

James K

Member In Memoriam
I was being facetious. I think this may be an area where the BB has not caught up with rising prices on those Colts. Also, there are differences, often large, between areas of the country, and a few auction figures (asking or getting) can influence prices, at least temporarily.

Jim

Eazyeach

I should've done more research before I sold it. But I didn't have much invested in it anyway so I shouldn't complain. I've got duplicates of some diamondbacks and pythons I was going to part with but I might hold on to them now.

Ricklin

I think I paid around 350 for my Cobra NIB. That was single unit wholesale back in the early 90's. It was stainless with Houge rubber grips. 6" if memory serves.

I liked it a lot. I miss it. I traded it for a Sears Model 50 .270 rifle that is still like new.

A Sears and Roebuck rifle for a Snake?? I'm still quite happy about that trade, that Model 50 is really an FN Mauser, and it is by far the finest rifle I own.

Sevens

I think (or maybe I hope? but hope isn't the right word... since I don't desire a Python) that if, in the future, say the next 3-5-7 years, Colt should happen to actually start production on a double action revolver and they name it Python, I think it may soften the wild market we've been seeing for Colt snake revolvers.

Yes, of course, before you run to the REPLY button, they won't be the same and genuine enthusiasts and hobbyists will still desire a genuine Python as they always have. But I believe that a large portion of the gun-buying public won't recognize a Colt Python as an "out of production (seemingly forever) revolver" anymore. Not so much at first, but that idea will gain momentum over some years.

If Colt re-introduces the Python, ten years in to production the mystique and crazy market that we have all witnessed in recent years will have, in my opinion, settled. Not saying prices will "drop" (unlikely as the value of our money drops...) but the meteoric rise in collector "value" on the guns will finally normalize and maybe we'll have less eyeball-popping snake gun market volatility.

:p Or not. :D

Sevens

In a related note, I have a 6-inch stainless King Cobra that I picked up some 3-4 years ago, I'd have to look in my records for exactly when.

It's a very cool revolver, I seriously love the way it looks but I hardly ever shoot it and that's quite simply because I'm a double-action revolver shooter and I'm quite tuned to the S&W trigger, and this King Cobra (like every revolver I've ever come across that isn't a S&W) just has an extremely heavy DA trigger pull. It's just not like shooting -any- of my S&W revolvers.

I think I'd be NUTS to sell off this cool King Cobra. It feels like genuine quality & workmanship when handling it and I think it is gorgeous, I just don't shoot it. But I paid $750 for it and I also see the gun show tags on similar ones at $1,250. No idea where the climb will actually level off.

Eazyeach

Colt should make another run of pythons. They'd sell like hotcakes. I actually prefer the .38 diamondback but then again I've never been a magnum guy just ask my wife.

highpower3006

Prices on Colts are what they are. As long as there are more buyers than sellers, the prices will keep rising. I think they will level off much like SAA Colts have, but there is no telling when.

I was fortunate to find a 1964 Python at a reasonable price a few years ago. I could double my money on it, but why? I have learned the hard way that as soon as I have some cash in my hand, something comes along to take it away.

In the end, I'd rather just have my guns.

bedbugbilly

supply and demand . . . mine sits in the safe and just keeps appreciating in value. Doesn't make sense to me either and I really (personally) don't care for them - I'd much rather shoot my vintage S & W M & P. But hey, some people collect Model T cars, some collect salt and pepper shakers and others collect Pythons. Mine is probably one of the better investments in a firearm that I have ever made - it increases in value instead of being just a "used" gun. :D :eek:

540mope

All hype. The money spent on a "cheap" Python will buy two or more much better (IMHO) S&Ws...we're talking pre-lock guns only.

Don P

All hype. The money spent on a "cheap" Python will buy two or more much better (IMHO) S&Ws...we're talking pre-lock guns only.
I'll disagree with the part of your opinion on S&W being much better.. I shoot my Python at out USPSA, ICORE matches and have a blast and dedicated S&W owners/fans who choose to try my Python, ALL state that Colt has an unbeatable trigger from the factory in comparison to the S&W factory trigger. My Python has what the S&W shooters must pay/do themselves in order to get that trigger job feel.
Just my opinion and yes I own 5 S&W revolvers and 2 of them have trigger work done to them.

The S&W will never attain the worth of the Colt Python today or in the future. Market price proves my point.

Sevens

The S&W will never attain the worth of the Colt Python today or in the future. Market price proves my point.
This is a true, correct statement, however it does nothing... nothing to prove that the Python is a better revolver than "a Smith & Wesson," and in fact, it fails in multiple ways.

540mope

This is a true, correct statement, however it does nothing... nothing to prove that the Python is a better revolver than "a Smith & Wesson," and in fact, it fails in multiple ways.

...one of which is the Colts' notorious timing problem. But that doesn't get noticed if the gun is a high dollar safe queen.

SVO

Ever notice how the S&W fanboys show up in every Python thread to talk about how much better a Smith is over a Colt?

JayCee

The funny thing is that Pythons aren't scarce. There were several hundred thousand made, and it's probable that most are still around and are in good condition. There are usually two to three hundred for sale on Gunbroker at any given time. It seems that every Tom, Dick and Harry thinks he can sell his Python for a huge profit. With so many on the market, sooner or later the supply will outstrip the demand. When everyone who wants a Python has bought one, the prices will fall and eventually stabilize.

I don't have much interest in Pythons, but I'll have to admit that I'm intrigued by the prices they're bringing. However, I'd sure be leery of buying one for an "investment". With buyers being as fickle as they are, that Python you thought was a great deal at $3000 might be a $1500 gun in a year or two.

Nullcone

Chalk me up as another who doesn't "get" the premium put on Colt over S&W, or heck even Ruger in some situations.

I'm guessing there will be a new entry for the phenomena on Wikipedia in a few years... right next to Tulipmania and the 06/07 Housing Bubble.

540mope

Ever notice how the S&W fanboys show up in every Python thread to talk about how much better a Smith is over a Colt?

It's really not how much better, it's about what's available for a much lower price. But that can't be said about all Smiths...some pre-lock Performance Center revolver models are realizing insane Colt like prices