Outdoor pistol range - Detroit area

Can anyone recommend a good pistol range in the metro Detroit area?

In this case, "good" to me means: place does not have any overly restrictive rules concerning drawing from a holster or the number of rounds in a magazine while on the line, and frequented generally by people who have common sense.

I am not averse to paying a membership fee and joining a private club, of course.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Bucksnort1

Johannes,

I'm fortunate to live in a western state, Colorado, where there is more public land in the mountins than private. Colorado Parks and Wildlife, formerly Division of Wildlife, has established about one dozen rifle/pistol/shotgun ranges, at various locations and open to the public with nice shooting benches and lanes for use by shooters. Most are located a stone's throw from a major highway. There are no reservations required and these ranges are not supervised. Perhaps you could check with the Michigan Department of Natural Resources.

Good luck with this.

Rob62

Its been many years since I have lived there. However there was nothing such as you are looking for then, and as far as I know there is nothing now.

(Since its Christmas. I will leave all jokes about Detroit being one great big open range to myself, and not pointing you to the junction of Robson and Grand River as a great pace to shoot)

Edited to add: Your question got me interested in the topic. Here is what I found using Google.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10363_56074-130928--,00.html

I was very surprised to see the Wayne County Sportsman's Club still there. IIRC this is the place I used to shoot at. But if it is, it has changed a LOT.

Merry Christmas,

Rob

Last edited:
Island Lake / Bald Mountain - probably not. Range rules included the following:

http://www.mishoot.com/safety-rules.html

Firearms must be unloaded and cased in order to enter the range. CPL holders are allowed to keep their carry firearm concealed, however it must be cased and unloaded prior to entering the range if the user plans on shooting it.....

Only approved targets may be used; no human form silhouettes or metal targets. Paper targets with a bull's eye pattern or a depiction of legal game may be used. Shooters must provide their own targets....

Up to six rounds may be loaded in the magazine and chamber, with a minimum of three seconds required between shots. Range officers may suspend this permission, based on his/her discretion, when conditions exist that may compromise the safety of the shooters and others....

Seriously, those are the range rules there? I think I'm going to boycott them just on general principles....

Micro man

All the DNR ranges have the same rules and follow them closely. I have been to a range called Peacemaker in Howell a few times. It's an indoor range and as far as I can tell you can use a variety of paper targets and shoot rapidly there with more than 6 rounds in your weapon. I'm not so sure you can draw from a holster there. I did hear some talk about classes that taught advanced shooting technique but am not sure what is involved.
Good luck with your search. I have not had much luck finding someplace like you want. I have not checked out the local gun clubs here due to costs and lack of time to volunteer.

FITASC

(Since its Christmas. I will leave all jokes about Detroit being one great big open range to myself, and not pointing you to the junction of Robson and Grand River as a great pace to shoot)
:D;).....What I was thinking as well..............