outdoor ammo storage??

omnibus1967

i need to store my handgun and shotgun ammo in the garage as per my landlord. do you have a suggestion of what to store it in....maybe something from Lowes or Home Depot?

do i need a gasket around the opening? i live inland in pennsylvania, so salt air will not be a problem.

maybe just a cheap lockable tool chest?
will need to hold about 400 rounds. Must be lockable!!

should not look like an ammo container!

thanks..........Bill

i suggest one of those large metal yellow storage chests . they are strong lockable and perfect for your needs. they have places to allow securing to the floor and are raised with skids to allow a pallet jack to get under them.

with such weight you need something that wont collapse under the strain.

I'm curious why the landlord states this. if its fore safety there is no better place than a cool dark closet and no worse place than as hot garage full of other explosive or flammable items. ammo is relatively stable unless in a gun but they are still dangerous stuff.

NCHornet

I would find a different place to live! Why is the Landlord against you having a firearm, it's your space as long as your paying rent. Are you just renting a room and maybe they have small kids that are not trained very well? Just curious. I would use some of the newer ammo cans with a gasket, and put some of that silica gel pacs in the box to absorb any moisture. If you are renting a apartment or house I wouldn't tell the Lanlord anything!!

omnibus1967

i'm not storing the weapons....just the ammo. he's afraid of a fire and the rounds cooking off. i live rent free (not a relative)....so i could move somewhere else and pay $450/mo or comply with his request and pocket that money EVERY month.

took me about 2 seconds to figure out what would be most beneficial to me!!!:D

As long as you have the firearms and a few loaded mags handy, so what if you keep your stockpile of ammo in the garage?

Get a big metal box, a heavy padlock, and some sillica.

gac009

I hear the fire-departments wont enter a burning building if there is ammo stored inside. Perhaps this is why he wants it to be stored outside.

BillCA

Military surplus ammo cans -- good ones, not the ones bent, punctured or ripped. Your cost should be between $4.99 and $7.99.

Make sure the lid's gasket seals. If the can is difficult to open in the store, chances are the gasket is working right. :) These cans are used by the military to store ammo for decades so they'll work in a garage.

If you're only storing about 400 rounds of handgun & shotgun shells, get one of the 50 BMG cans. They're bigger so you can add ammo if you want and still get to the ammo you want to take out without too much fuss.

You can make the cans lockable using an eyebolt with machine screw threads, a nut and some expoy or "liquid steel", and a padlock. In addition, the eyebolt will allow you to cable-lock it to something in the garage to prevent it from walking out the door.

If you need to know how to set the eyebolt up, send me a PM.

NCHornet

I hear the fire-departments wont enter a burning building if there is ammo stored inside. Perhaps this is why he wants it to be stored outside.

How do they know there is ammo in a building that is on fire? Lord knows I wouldn't want to be near my house if it ever went up in flames.