Out Running The Reset

TunnelRat

Hi all,
One issue I will freely admit to is the long reset of the HK P-series of pistols (P2000 and P30). I have had times in doing drills where I am shooting quickly where my finger doesn't release the trigger far enough and I pull the trigger and nothing happens. It's disorienting when you're doing a drill as it's not a malfunction so do I treat it like a simple tap, rack, bang, or do I just release fully? At the same time I don't want to be releasing so much that I am slapping the trigger.

Has anyone else out there had this problem? If so how did you address it? Simply more training with that gun, or were you even motivated to try another gun?

Thanks,
-TR

Oh man, that's happened to me before too with my SIG's and the HK. I know exactly what you mean. It's a quick "what the?" moment and when you let go you hear a "click" and understand what just happened.

A few times when I'm really into it, I do a "tap, rack, bang." Not fond of that feeling. It feels like a malfunction but it's a user error. Same as when on my SIG's, I'd just barely (with thumbs forward) rest on the slide stop and then the last round get's fired and the slide goes forward unintentionally where I do a dry fire or "tap, rack, bang." if I'm not counting shots.

Dragline45

Has anyone else out there had this problem? If so how did you address it? Simply more training with that gun, or were you even motivated to try another gun?

This used to happen to me with J frame revolvers, especially when I would swap out the rebound spring for a lighter one. In a revolver it is called short stroking, and will actually skip a chamber if you do it. With some training in fast DA fire and making sure the trigger was fully reset the problem went away. Another solution, if possible, is to get a heavier/stronger reset or trigger spring. This will give you a more positive reset of the trigger.

9x19

Happened for me with Kahr's line, I'm more accustomed to Glocks and 1911s.

It's really operator error, as I simply didn't manipulate the trigger correctly for that particular design, but I found it simpler to sell the Kahrs, and now with the Bersa BP9CC, I don't even miss them.

TunnelRat

Another solution, if possible, is to get a heavier/stronger reset or trigger spring. This will give you a more positive reset of the trigger.

This is actually a very relevant point for me. I switched out the trigger return spring for a lighter one to make the pull a bit lighter. But in reality I think the firing pin block spring swap I did was more helpful. I might try going back to the heavier trigger spring, and see if that helps.

I appreciate all the tips guys!

rock185

TunnelRat, been there, done that with SIGs, the FN/Browning Hi Power and S&W revolvers during matches. I handled a new HK P30, Grip felt great, but I knew I did not want that very long trigger reset. I found, with the Hi Power, that a lighter trigger spring and/or removing the mag disconnect ( which adds trigger pull weight, but also helps trigger return/reset in the BHP) did not help things. I went back to a stronger trigger spring, and no longer remove the mag disconnect. The slighty lighter trigger pull was more than outweighed by the Lazy/slow trigger reset. I suspect you have a similer situation with the HK. I've seen it a lot with light trigger rebound springs in S&W revolvers. The fastest DA revolver shooter I've ever seen, Jerry Miculek, said in a video he uses full strength trigger springs, otherwise he outruns the trigger. I also experienced this with a Ruger DA revolver. I immediatly went back to the stronger factory spring. IMHO, going back to the heavier spring is probably the way to go...

rduckwor

Is there no fix for the HK as there is with Sig's? If not, it going to be either a issue of training and muscle memory or a different pistol.

JohnO

You can fix the Sig with their SRT, Short Reset Trigger. You can fix all the other with buying a 1911.:D

Nanuk

I don't think "out running the reset" is the proper term. It is more that you are not allowing it to reset.